Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend recently purchased a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T. I would say I'm very knowledgeable in the world of NA, but I've only really scratched the surface of FI. Anyways, she wants to start modding and the first thing she would like to do is install a more noticable BOV (just to make driving around alittle more fun). I'm not sure what kind of turbo it is or if you can even install an aftermarket BOV on a factory turbo, but I was wondering if you guys could kind of guide me if you can put an aftermarket one on and if so, the names of some decent BOVs that would work(money really isn't an issue). Also, I won't be installing this because 1) I've never worked on an import before 2) I've never worked on a turbo car before and 3) its not my car, so how many hours could I expect for the install? I hate you ask you guys these stupid "newbie" style questions like this, so I thank you very much in advance - Rick

·
Registered
75 Posts
i really dont know but i do know that if you have any questions about an VW you should check out the forums over at VWVortex they know what is going on. And you will find lots of stuff that you can do to the car too.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
yep, goto vortex...and why waste yer money on noise....just chip tune it or get a boost controller....trust me you wont be upset. Well yer g/f's car will be a [censored] load faster'n yer focus...but hehe

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well yer g/f's car will be a [censored] load faster'n yer focus...
I know I know. I'm keeping mine all motor so that will be my pathetic excuse. "Of course you beat me, you've got a damn blower under the hood!!"

Anyways, when we go to the track, she loves the sound of a nice BOV, so now she wants one. Nothing wrong with a sorority chick that'll change your oil with you

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Two things. First, don't use a BOV on the 1.8T. The 1.8T engines use a diverter valve and so should you. The BOV is not a great idea, due to the fact that the excess boost is not being metered by the MAFS, but being released into the atmosphere. There are a lot of ppl using BOV's but most end up running crappy after a while. I would suggest the Bailey or the VF-Engineering Diverter valve. The diverter valves still have the cool sound and yet work properly. We sell both if you are interested. Second, the chip on a 1.8T is going to be the best bang for the buck, hands down. AND, chipped 1.8T's IMHO eat up factory diverter valves. So it's not a bad idea to invest in either. And don't forget about the Euro Sport Cool-Flo race intake. Super good stuff.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
There is a direct replacement dirverter valve from a audi that will plug into the Golf 1.8T.
Yes, my friends chipped Golf goes nicly and the stock valve didnt last long.

He has a 2000, it's still chipped, the repo man is comming to get it soon, so he might swap ECU's (if compatible) for a small fee.
His name is 2literrabbit on the VW fourm

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Two things. First, don't use a BOV on the 1.8T. The 1.8T engines use a diverter valve and so should you. The BOV is not a great idea, due to the fact that the excess boost is not being metered by the MAFS, but being released into the atmosphere. There are a lot of ppl using BOV's but most end up running crappy after a while. I would suggest the Bailey or the VF-Engineering Diverter valve. The diverter valves still have the cool sound and yet work properly. We sell both if you are interested. Second, the chip on a 1.8T is going to be the best bang for the buck, hands down. AND, chipped 1.8T's IMHO eat up factory diverter valves. So it's not a bad idea to invest in either. And don't forget about the Euro Sport Cool-Flo race intake. Super good stuff.
I'll second this opinion, I've heard Randy's car... it's downright evil sounding. Not mention it has "ok" performance.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My friend is going to install a Forge diverter valve in his EVO 8 this friday. I'll post how well it performs after it is installed. BTW, he is only putting it in because the stock diverter valve is crappy and lets about .5 psi go.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
You may also wanna talk to Randy from Focussport. He is also a VW guru.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks guys for all your help. I've looked around alittle with the advice you've given me. After showing her what the options are, I think we're going to go with a DV and chip to start out. From what I've heard, a DV swap isn't hard at all and doesn't take anytime at all too. So I guess I'll be endeavoring in the FI world now....

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know you've already made your mind but ... I have a aftermarket BOV in my A3 1.8t and you can fit one just fine. First I didn't like that much but after I had a custom cat installed it sounded louder. I would recoment it 100%, raising the intimidation factor when you stop at a light is definently fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts