Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volvo\'s blindspot camera, common sense, and mirrors

In this month's Electronic Design magazine, there's a feature about auto electronics, and an explanation of Volvo's "Blindspot Information System". It's a camera looking at the sideview mirrors' blindspots and a light near the mirror will flash if there's a car there.

Now why not just have Euro-style side mirros, where the last 1/4th of the sideview mirror is convex so you can see what's in the blindspot, with a dashed vertical line demarcating that area?
Oh, wait a minute, the DOT requires that side mirrors be completely flat.

It's unfortunate that logic and science seldom play a role in governmental decision making in this country.

When I drove a rental Renault in Europe, it had the above style mirrors, which I found very effective. (Waaayy better than the $2 stick on convem mirrors you can buy)

A way to reduce the blind spot is to adjust your side mirrors properly (which 98% of the population don't do, they adjust it to see the sides of their cars, so they have 3 copies of the same area in their mirrors).

Do Euro Foci have the above style side mirrors? I wouldn't mind changing to those.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Re: Volvo\'s blindspot camera, common sense, and mirrors

A way to reduce the blind spot is to adjust your side mirrors properly (which 98% of the population don't do, they adjust it to see the sides of their cars, so they have 3 copies of the same area in their mirrors).
I was tought the wrong way in drivers ed and only corrected this ten years later when I read about it in the newspaper. When adjusting the mirrors correctly, you shouldn't see the side of your car in the outside mirrors, you should actually see whats next to you. I find that passing cars come into view in the rearview mirror and then transition into the side mirrors as they pass with no loss in coverage. Amazing how we need extra gizmos for something we could correct ourselves.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts

I don't have a rear view just the sides

·
Registered
6,296 Posts

I was tought the wrong way in drivers ed and only corrected this ten years later when I read about it in the newspaper. When adjusting the mirrors correctly, you shouldn't see the side of your car in the outside mirrors, you should actually see whats next to you. I find that passing cars come into view in the rearview mirror and then transition into the side mirrors as they pass with no loss in coverage. Amazing how we need extra gizmos for something we could correct ourselves.
hmmm... I have my side mirrors positioned so i just barely see the edge of my car. I think I will realign them tomorrow. And to think I prided myself on my mirror-using skills...

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts

hmmm... I have my side mirrors positioned so i just barely see the edge of my car. I think I will realign them tomorrow. And to think I prided myself on my mirror-using skills...
You don't need to pay as much attention to what is behind you if you are passing everything. Just make sure to remember what you are passing and where they are...

(Joking, of course)

In San Diego I care less about teaching people how to align their mirrors and more about teaching them to ACTUALLY USE THEM!!! On the freeway today I saw 2 cars almost take out the same guy on a motorcycle because they didn't check their mirrors before they changed lanes. I felt bad for the guy, but was very glad that he knew how to handle his bike. The saddest thing is that this all happened behind me. I was paying attention to what was in front of me and watch what was going on behind me, whilst the maroons behind me couldn't even manage to realize what was happening next to or in front of them.

·
Registered
674 Posts

I googled it and found the method I was looking for.

web page

"First, forget how we learned to adjust our outside mirrors by plopping behind the steering wheel and turning the mirrors so that we just saw the side of our car looking back at us in the mirrors.

Instead, adjust the driver's side mirror by resting your head against the driver's side window and then turning the mirror so that you just see the side of your car.

Once this is set, move to the center of the vehicle and turn the passenger side mirror so that you can just see the side of your car from the center of the vehicle.

That's it. You won't see your own car in either mirror, yet what you will see is far better. Cars behind you show up as usual in the inside rear-view mirror above the dash, but the instant the car leaves your field of vision from the rear-view mirror the outside mirror picks it up. No blind spot; no
delays; no wondering where that car about to pass you has disappeared to, and no waiting a few seconds for the car that you just saw in your rear-view mirror to show up in your outside mirrors.

All three mirrors work in harmony with one another, and the blind spot has been eliminated!"

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

You don't need to pay as much attention to what is behind you if you are passing everything. Just make sure to remember what you are passing and where they are...

(Joking, of course)

In San Diego I care less about teaching people how to align their mirrors and more about teaching them to ACTUALLY USE THEM!!! On the freeway today I saw 2 cars almost take out the same guy on a motorcycle because they didn't check their mirrors before they changed lanes. I felt bad for the guy, but was very glad that he knew how to handle his bike. The saddest thing is that this all happened behind me. I was paying attention to what was in front of me and watch what was going on behind me, whilst the maroons behind me couldn't even manage to realize what was happening next to or in front of them.
sorry to bring this slightly OT, but we were just in SoCal (LA, San Diego, TJ etc) and holy crap, people on bikes are IDIOTS! They drive on the freakin white lines in between cars!!!
It scared the bejeezus out of me to have a motorcycle around while I was driving on the freeway, they come so close they almost hit your mirrors sometimes!!!
Sorry, but most drivers in SoCal can't drive worth a crap.
(of course none of you are included in that general statement)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about Jason. I love those euro mirrors that are convex at the end. I wonder if there is a replacement that can be bought here on in europe, that would be very cool (and safe).

·
Banned
2,018 Posts

It's all this talk of mirrors that has me a little worried....

You should be checking your blind spot with a turn of your head people, mirrors are there as a supplement in cars. I drove a delivery truck which was all mirrors but that thing had 3 angles....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

There is a bonus to properly adjusting your mirrors. Headlights from cars behind you generally won't shine directly into your eyes.

But driver re-education could solve alot of the problems on the road today. Too bad it won't happen.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about Jason. I love those euro mirrors that are convex at the end. I wonder if there is a replacement that can be bought here on in europe, that would be very cool (and safe).
Funny you mention it. I recently bought a set of the painted Euro manual adjustment mirrors for my Focus and although the mirrors are not convex only on the end the whole driver side mirror is convex just like the passenger side. It makes for a whole lot better visibility overall.

·
Registered
994 Posts

i always adjust my mirror so i see a LIL bit of my car and the rest of the mirror is on the road...why do i need to see the back of my car for? really...its pointless...but i adjust it so i see a lil bit to make sure its lined up properly all the time

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

turn your head.
Problem solved.
turn your head, the wheel comes with you...
what kind of screwed up steering wheel do you have installed??
it's a psycological situation that you will steer towards whatever you are looking at. Also, I see people ( mainly teenaged girls) who turn there heads all the way around instead of using their mirrors while merging into traffic almost always are turning the wheel one way or the other as they are trying to spin around in the seat to look backwards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts