Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently my spedometer started dropping off to 0 while driving. When it does this the AVC on the radio also cuts out and the volume goes down. I am assuming the VSS is shot. Sound right to everybody?

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
I'd check the wire harness plugged into the VSS before I'd say the VSS was shot. Don't just check that the plug is plugged in securely; check the wiring too. I know Soundq had his wires to the TPS fray inside the insulation. The insulation frayed going to my coilpack, and then the wires started breaking and caused a 2 & 3 misfire.

Given the several times I've seen damaged wiring under the hood I'd say that this is much more likely a scenario than a faulty sensor. Usually when the VSS goes it just flat out goes. The hit-or-miss instability of the speed sensor tells me it could be a wiring problem.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I thought about that too. I'm gonna have to crawl up under it today and have a look. Is the wiring for the VSS in the same clump as the whole "engine cluster" cable? I wish I hade my TVR from work, check the resistance of the line all the way thru on a graphical output. might have to go borrow it. I hope its something easy, like a bad connection at the plug. I noticed the sensor for the auto is 8$ while the one for manuals is 33$.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts