2. buy SVT computer to controll it
3. get frustraited because you probably didnt think of the 1,000 other things
4. sell car to sucker
5. buy SVT

and there ya go 5 steps to get VCT

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I would say slim to none. Variable valve timing requires a lot of engineering to make it work right. This would drive the price through the roof so there would probally be no market for it.

If you really want that feature, buy the SVT.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
easiest way to do this would be to get a zetec from a zx2 and dump it in.... the zx2 has VCT

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TooleBox:
easiest way to do this would be to get a zetec from a zx2 and dump it in.... the zx2 has VCT<hr></blockquote>

The ZX2 has VCT on the exhaust and the SVT uses it on the intake. It is controlled by oil pressure. When the PCM sees it wants to be variable, it opens a solenoid that lets oil pressure in and actuates the device.

·
Registered
110 Posts
VCT on the ZX2 was only for egr control. Did nothing for power.I had it on my 98.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
got ya... thanks for the input... I knew there was a difference between the two but did not know the exacts, but as for it not doing anything for power... why is it that a stock zx2 is faster than a stock zx3 yet has the same baseline numbers (correct me if i'm wrong?) i thought it was due to the VCT

·
Registered
394 Posts
A stock ZX2 is faster because of:

1/ lower vehicle weight
2/ lower gearing
3/ more agreesive cams
4/ flatter torque curve due to VCT

Compare the ZX2 cams and the Focus cams...

Intake:
ZX2 (VCT) 214 deg @ 0.050", 0.367" lift
Focus 205 deg @ 0.050, 0.352" lift

Exhaust
ZX2 (VCT) 212 deg @ 0.050", 0.338" lift (exact duration not verified, yet)
Focus 206 deg @ 0.050", 0.343" lift

The VCT advances the exhaust cam 30 crank degrees under certain conditions, such as low rpm. This reduces overlap and improves low end torque. VCT also allowed Ford to use the longer duration cams in an emissions controlled engine.

If you are building a non-emissions motor the VCT isn't going to help performance (except maybe improve low-mid torque in a road course racing application.)

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
It should also be noted that all VCT Zetecs require a specific head for the VCT functionality... If that wasn't already obvious... So you'd need an SVT head to do intake VCT.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alright, so the SVT Focus attributes the major part of it's power/torque gains to it's variable timed intake cam. Not being an expert on cam timing, I had a stupid thought, one that I thought I would blatantly share with strangers across the country. What are the chances of anyone ever managing to slap after-market variable timing into their ZX3?

- Nathan

·
Registered
181 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CoolNathan:
What are the chances of anyone ever managing to slap after-market variable timing into their ZX3?
- Nathan
<hr></blockquote>

Close to very good....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
All jetters,

Click the link in usdm's signature. Then click contact and select "I want smart valves for" in the subject. Then specify Ford Focus ZX3(or any other Zetec model) in the message field.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have always thought there would be a nice market for an aftermarket VTEC type of modification. I mean, just think if someone came out with an actual kit for numerous different motors, makes, models. It would sell like mad!

Kev

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sell like mad? Probably not. But there are plans to support a variety of cars, including Hondas....

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: usdm ]</p>

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is another way to provide variable cam timing.

Over 30 years ago Mercedes introduced a centrifugal timing mechanism on their twin cam inline 6. I don't remember if it was on the intake or exhaust side, but I do remember that it retarded the cam with increased rpm.

20 years ago there were similar aftermarket centrifugal mechanisms for the VW and Chrysler inline SOHC 4 cylinder motors.

A mechanically adjustable centrifugal retard mechanism would be a simple way to vary cam timing without having to modify the head or involve the PCM. You could use one on the intake of a VCT engine or use intake only or two mechanisms on the Focus Zetec.

I will try to dig up info on these past devices. Maybe there is a manufacturer out there interested in developing something like this.

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: JohnsZX2SR ]</p>

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by JohnsZX2SR:
There is another way to provide variable cam timing.

Over 30 years ago Mercedes introduced a centrifugal timing mechanism on their twin cam inline 6. I don't remember if it was on the intake or exhaust side, but I do remember that it retarded the cam with increased rpm.

A mechanically adjustable centrifugal retard mechanism would be a simple way to vary cam timing without having to modify the head or involve the PCM. You could use one on the intake of a VCT engine or use intake only or two mechanisms on the Focus Zetec.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The cam phasing sprockets have been off and on the market for a while now. But I know very few, if any folks that are actually utilizing them. Personally, I think it would be a cost effective solution (albeit with some flaws that are ancillary). The VW ones, were not very expensive, but not a lot of them were ever sold. And it wasn't for a lack of word of mouth, just simply lack of interest.

Lack of interest one of the things that makes me worry about bringing the valves to certain markets. I know the valves work, but will anyone buy them? They will not be cheap, so I already expect that they will not move like hotcakes. But is there enough interest to justify even doing valves on a limited production scale? If not, then they will probably go the way of the sprocket; in and out of the collective conciousness like a semi-important thought.....

[ 10-18-2002, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: usdm ]

·
Registered
181 Posts
[ 10-18-2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: usdm ]

·
Registered
181 Posts
[ 10-18-2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: usdm ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by EggYolkBill:
All jetters,

Click the link in usdm's signature. Then click contact and select "I want smart valves for" in the subject. Then specify Ford Focus ZX3(or any other Zetec model) in the message field.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

1 - 20 of 25 Posts