Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Re: VW releases official pics of Mk V Golf 2-door

I for one like it....though I still say Focus>Golf.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Man, I was really, REALLY looking forward to the Mk V as it would have fixed the suspension issue, possibly have a little bigger back seat and brought back a good-to-great motor for the 5-door. However I'm really dissapointed with the styling of the new Golf. I still would have bought the 2002 5-door (mark IV) Golf, if I could have got it with a 1.8t, over my ZX5.

Too bad. Really was looking forward to this new Golf. Maybe I'll look at the Audi A3 or Mazda3 when it comes out.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts

If I squint a little, I see a '92 Civic Si hatchback. My friend had one in nearly the exact same color. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but this design is not what I was hoping for.

>8^)
ER

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Also, just to get you up to speed:

Engines for the U.S. market are rumored to be an all-new inline 5-cylinder with around 150hp and an all-new 16v 2.0l Turbo with 200hp. Six-speed transmissions will be standard in manual, tiptronic and DSG configurations depending on the model and spec.

·
Registered
723 Posts

i don't know why but it reminds me of a peugeot 206(sp?)
regardless it is a nice looking car. now if they can just get the GTi in the 2700lbs range or even lower.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

Ok, am i the ONLY one that REALLY likes the 3dr?
With the new suspension and the beautiful turbo motors VW puts together it should be deadly competition in this new market. Hmm Focus Handling and 1.8t+ power and upgradability...... DING DING DING We have a WINNER.

Also every VW i've ever driven has always been of amazing quality and fit so i'm always surprised to hear all the probs the Jetta's and such have.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

If I squint a little, I see a '92 Civic Si hatchback. My friend had one in nearly the exact same color. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but this design is not what I was hoping for.

>8^)
ER
OMG, i just looked at the top picture again and ur RIGHT! I basically grew up in the 92-95 model yr Civic's and if you cut off the rear end of the top pic you have a 92 Si hatchback rear end heheh.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

No Meth, your not the only one.
From what I've seen, both the 5 and 3-doors look fantastic. More contemporary then the Mk IV, the same great VW power and now finally the missing piece to the puzzle...a halfway decent rear suspension.

Recipe for one serious hot hatch. Don't be surpised to see me at the front of the line to test drive one.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts

As I said in an earlier post, a friend of mine drove the new Golf in the AZ testing grounds. He said he was blown away by the handling. We all know why.

I'll be picking up the new GTi as soon as it's released. 200 hp version, obviously.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts

...a halfway decent rear suspension.

Recipe for one serious hot hatch. Don't be surpised to see me at the front of the line to test drive one.
Halfway, Ron? Hehe, man I bet the designer would kick you for that!

·
Registered
180 Posts

I actually like it. I think the five door design suits it better. I'll wait until I see one in the metal (and prices) before deciding if I'm going to get one. Currently the new A3 is ahead.

·
Registered
723 Posts

does anyone know how much pricing will change. i remember reading a while back about VW trying to move upmarket. i hope they don't price this thing so high that it becomes too little car for the price asked.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

...a halfway decent rear suspension.

Halfway, Ron? Hehe, man I bet the designer would kick you for that!
Well, damn good for an A class size car (i.e. econobox) but far from the "ultimate" on the grand scale of suspension design...is what I meant.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.