VW will launch diesel push in fall

By Richard Truett
Automotive News / June 02, 2003

VW's new diesels
ENGINE TORQUE HORSEPOWER VEHICLES
1.9-liter I-4 177 lbs.-ft. 100hp New Beetle, Golf, Jetta
2.0-liter I-4 247 lbs.-ft. 134hp Passat
5.0-liter V-10 553 lbs.-ft. 308hp Touareg

DETROIT -- With a revamped fuel injection system for its turbocharged diesel engines coming this fall, Volkswagen will put its long-term diesel strategy in place for North America.

The 2004 New Beetle, Golf, Jetta and Passat will be equipped with a redesigned version of Volkswagen's pump-injector high-pressure fuel injection system, said Kenneth Moriarty, executive director of corporate strategy and coordination for Volkswagen of America Inc.

Moriarty outlined VW's 2004 diesel plans at a Society of Automotive Engineers conference on diesels last week in Troy, Mich.

Stuart Johnson, manager of Volkswagen of America's Engineering and Environmental Office, said VW's 1.9-liter diesel and the new 2.0-liter Passat diesel will be equipped with after-treatment devices, such as a particulate trap, as emissions regulations toughen after 2004. Other after-treatment devices will be added as tougher regulations take effect.

The 2004 models will not have a particulate trap because the sulfur content of diesel fuel is too high, Johnson said. Low-sulfur diesel fuel with 15 parts per million, down from the current 300 ppm, will be required by law in fall 2006.

Low-sulfur fuel is the key to widespread use of diesel engines in cars and light trucks in the United States.

Volkswagen is the only automaker to sell diesel-powered cars in the U.S. market. It had a healthy increase in diesel sales last year, in part because gasoline prices spiked before the war in Iraq.

In 2001, VW sold 23,646 diesel-powered Golfs, Jettas and New Beetles. In 2002, sales climbed to 32,220 and are at about the same level this year, VW spokesman Tony Fouladpour said.

Other automakers are planning to test the market with diesels. The Chrysler group's Jeep Division will add a diesel option for the Liberty SUV next fall. Mercedes-Benz plans to offer a diesel engine on the E-class sedan for the 2004 model year.

The fuel injection system scheduled for VW's 2004 models doesn't use the common-rail technology used by most other automakers. Instead, VW uses a camshaft-driven, high-pressure pump that injects fuel directly into each cylinder at 30,000 pounds per square inch, a pressure that is nearly 50 percent higher than in common-rail-injection systems.

The high-pressure injectors shoot multiple bursts of fuel into each cylinder, Johnson said. This makes the engine run more quietly and smoothly, lowers emissions and increases power.

VW will continue to market the diesels under the TDI brand.

·
Registered
254 Posts
BlewBug's TDI New beetle... the A3 (engine code) in the US is a 90hp version.. but was released every where else as a 110hp option. my wifes makes 111hp and 197lbft. at the ground..

and it'll out run a S/C ZX3 and run dead even with an SVT... oh it gets 47mpg too.. (but ya gotta shift the TDI at 3500rpm)

Here's her Dyno run... before and after the Upsolute Boost and Fuel upgrade.

TDI's ROCK... i'd recommend them to everyone!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I really wanted a TDI when I bought my 1.8T, but you can't find one to buy. VW would sell more TDI's if they simply imported more of them! Around here, TDI's are a high demand vehicle...and I can see why. They make TONS of usable power, and are far more economical than your average gasoline vehicle. Heck, the hybrid powered cars can barely acheive the level of fuel economy that a TDI does...and the hybrids certainly aren't as fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts