Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'd like to put in a fresh new bottle of Power Steering fluid. Thinking about AMSOIL ATF that works for Mercon V fluids also. SO what would be an easy way of doing this? I had a friend who kept syphening the fluid out and adding a bit more synthetic fluid each time until all of it eventually was new fluid. Has anyone done this and has it had any good affects? Almost all my fluids are changed and synthetics. I just a need a few more.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
jack the front end of the car off the ground, disconnect the pressure and return lines on the steering rack and let all the fluid, its gonna be messy but oh well, you might have to kick the car over and shut it off real fast to drain the pump. Also with the lines disconnected running your steering wheel back and forth to get the fluid outta the rack. connect everything back up put the fresh fluid in the resivor, start the car up run it thru, add more fluid, run it thru....

Keep doin this till the fluid doesnt drop and there is nore more air in the system (it will make a hissing noise if there is air in it) Have lots off rags and absorbent material handy it gets very messy, i should know, i work with hydraulics all day

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just take off one line (return line) and have it running and draining while at the same time someone will be adding fluid. Once the fluid turns brand new I'll shut off the car and the fluid will stop flowing...does that sound correct?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Can I just take off one line (return line) and have it running and draining while at the same time someone will be adding fluid. Once the fluid turns brand new I'll shut off the car and the fluid will stop flowing...does that sound correct?
Yes, You can. This is also a good method to replacing auto trans fluid also.

This does work best with a partner BTW

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
bah, you guys gotta do the clean way, borrrrrrrinnnnnnnngggggggggg
lol

·
Registered
670 Posts
Be careful with the “return line off and adding fluid as the car runs” method. I don’t know for sure, but usually the volume of fluid the pump can move is more then you expect (and more then you can pour out of the bottle…).

You might want to have the PWS fluid in a different container that can handle more volume at a quicker rate. In addition, a third person may come in handy to shut the car off if it gets out of hand.

I have seen some crazy stuff happen when trying to do this with an auto trans. The tras pump can move some serious fluid!! I just don’t know about the steering pump?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know honestly. That thought was scaring me too. Glad you mentioned it. I've searched some online and no one has mentioned this. I tried calling Jiffy Lube to see if they could suck it out somehow but no luck. I could syphen but I don't know how well that would go. The AMSOIL bottles pour out pretty fast because of the way they're shaped like a pyramid. NO bubbles form whatever way you have the bottle tipped...ever wonder why oil bottles are shaped the way they are? Coolant bottles too. (Sorry just trying to act smart)
I gotta do this soon before winter hits. I also gotta change my coolant before winter.

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts
I don't know if it would apply here, but, if and when you change the fluid, when you top it off the last time and start your car, move the steering wheel from stop to stop. Lots of times, 30-50. With the wheels off of the ground. You will be rooting out the bubbles in the system by doing this. At least that is how we did it when we replaced a power steering pump in a Peterbilt. You may have success in doing this application here... good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts