Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to lower my focus around 1.5"-2" front and back. Can I keep the stock struts and shocks with that setup. I don't want anything major, just for it to look nice. Will I bounce really badly with just lowering springs? Thanks

Jason Stiehler

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had Eibach pro-kit springs (1.5"- 2") put on my Focus and they killed my stock shocks/struts only after about 30,000 miles. I recommend getting the appropriate shocks/struts at the same time or not much after.
The springs will ride quite nice till the shocks/struts wear.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I'll just throw in the Idea that They Could Possible last over 10,000 miles if you drive very cautiously, and go slow over all speed bumps.

Because It only takes One speedbump, and 5 Mph too fast for your car bottom out and cause a loss in compression because a bit of gas leaked. My suspension was alright on stock dampers until I drove 80 Mph on the bay bridge... and the bouncing just got progressively worse and worse.

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
It will drive really nice for a while if you take good care and caution with the car. Over time, though, the shocks/struts will wear down. Like has been said above, buy the shocks/struts/springs in one fell swoop. It is something you will have to buy in the future anyway, so you might as well do it now.

There no way like doing it the right way the first time!

·
Registered
61 Posts
i've had my car lowered for about 2 years already and i still have the stock shocks on there. [btw, i dont know much about suspension.] I have the progress springs and a camber kit and thats about it. My shocks are all worn down. Which shocks do any of you recommend for the progress lowering springs? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The Eibach Pro-dampers will perform alright with Progress springs (they're 1.8", right?), and might be the cheapest option. Or you can look at KYB AGX dampers, which are adjustable. They're pretty cheap if you can find them on ebay, but you'll need to tinker with them to find a setting that rides pretty well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hmm. i'll proabably go with the Eibach Pro-Dampers. I'll just look around and see what i can find. they might be 1.5" i'm really not too sure.
lol. thanks!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've got the Eibach pro-dampers with Progress springs. Great setup. The springs are right between the Pro-kit springs and the Sportline springs that the dampers are designed for.

J.

P.S. The Progress springs are 1.8"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Awesome, thanks JJFocus. I'm gonna go with the Eibach Pro-Dampers!!

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
My opinion is that the stock shocks are blown from the factory... I'd replace as urgently as possible.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My opinion is that the stock shocks are blown from the factory... I'd replace as urgently as possible.
You aren't that far off. My well-calibrated ass (?) senses that my 05's shocks have already fallen off at 4000 miles and that's with very little hard driving.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
ALERT ALERT!!!!!!!

Go ahead and replace the shocks now. Take my advice, it's a huge pain in the ass to do it twice, and get it aligned twice. Put off lowering it until you can replace both shocks and struts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts