Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help what are some upgrades that I can do to the engine that are relative inexpensive that will make a diff what I was thinking was:

Cold Air Intake
New Exhaust (headers to tip)
Sport Chip (maybe the Diablo)

I have a 5 speed

As you can probably tell I am new at the performance section so any views would be helpful

thanks in advance

·
Registered
242 Posts
There have been many posts on this. I think the most inexpensive (in order of price for HP) are the following:

1) Underdrive Pulley
2) Cold Air Intake
3) 65mm Throttle Body
4) Cat-back Exhaust

Then maybe finish off the exhaust with a header, flexpipe, and possibly cat. Afterwards, you have to decide whether you want to get inside the engine or not. I chose the second option and sprang for a port and polish, cams, cam gears, and the head internals. Hope this helps! Good luck.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Cold Air Intake:

Volant CAI - www.newedgperformance.com

Full Exhaust:

FocusSport Race Header(deletes catalytic convertor) - www.focussport.com

FocusSport Flex-Pipe(flex joint that provides flex between the header and exhaust) - www.focussport.com

Bosal Exhaust - www.newedgeperformance.com

Chip:

DiabloSport - www.focussport.com

Of course, don't take my word for it.

Do a search for those products in this forum, and go to the sites.

Do as much research as you can before you makea purchase, be sure that is what you want before you spend your hard earned money on it.

- Drew

·
Registered
662 Posts
Kind of late to be handing the Christmas list off to the wife now isn't it

Make sure you check out the Sponsor Deals message board, there are some pretty good deals going on...

The choices for the your list are many.

Depending on your understanding, your definition of CAI, and your wallet, take your pick from several "short intake" kits from MAC, AEM, Steeda, SHM, FocusSport, Tru-Rev. Or, full length "true" CAI kits from AEM, BOMZ(AEM Knockoff), and Injen. Intake "box" systems from Focus Central and Volant. Or ones that don't quite fit the definetion of either, from IceMan or K&N FIPK kits.

For exhaust, when you say "header to tip", you need to further define wether or not you want to stay "street legal" with a short header from JBA, Ford Racing, Edlebrock, or Pacesetter. Or, "offroad" using a race header from Focus Central, Focus Focus Sport, JBA(yes they have a race header), or Kamikaze. Then your choice of 2.25" flexpipes from Focus Central, Bosal, or Focus Sport. Catback choices are many, Bosal, Magnaflow, Borla, HKS, YoDude, MBRP, Thermal, Vibrant, Pacesetter and probably a couple others.

Chips, a little easier to decide on, Diablosport regular or the new DeltaChip, Superchips, or find one the guys that do specialty chips. Shop around

Here's a link that shows you some of the many choices, links to the manufacture, various dealers, and price comparisons. See http://www.myfordfocus.com/performance.htm

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it will have to stay street since this is my daily driver. thanks for all the info on the brands i am starting my research now on diff items

one thing about exhausts what I want the quite sounding car that does not scream there is something different under my hood

*edit oh yeah on the intake I am thinking either a short one or one that has the heat shields around it............I have heard that the true CAI's are bad where it rains alot

[ 12-22-2002, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Focuscrazy ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts