Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I came into a little bit of money and i think im going to get the kyb adjustable shocks and struts. What springs would you more expreienced suspension people say would be good wit them? I like the look of the pro-kit as far as drop height, and it is a daily driver. Also, i live in snow country for most of the year. let me know what you guys think, thanks.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Well, if I already had some nice new dampers like you do, then I'd choose either H&R Sport springs (35mm drop) or Apex sport springs (35mm drop).

That's about a 1.5 inch drop; just about right for every situation except for off-roading, lol.

Never drove a lowered car in the snow, so I don't what to expect there; but I would think that anything more than that drop might be a problem.

Another option for you if more ground clearance becomes necessary is the SVT Suspension Kit. That drops a stock Focus about .6 -.7 inch; the handling balance is superb and with no ugly traits that would be hazardous on low-traction days.

The SVT Kit is sold for around $250 by several sponsors of this site.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Since I now have them on my car
I can enthusiastically reccomend the Apex springs. I have the 2" drop version, but same spring rate. The ride even on rough roads is better than stock. The one place you really feel the more firm springs is on speed bumps and large pot-holes.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
just dont go with the h&r race springs. youll need a more heavy duty damper for those

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok I made the mistake of driving my lowered Contour SVT in the snow. Bad idea. Im from Michigan so I know the weather. I would not drop you car that much. If you can live with it I think the SVT springs would work good for you, but unless you have a second, crappy weather car I wouldnt drop it a whole lot. If you live in town where they plow frequently though it may be different.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
really what did happened? just got stuck or did you damage your car?

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
That's about a 1.5 inch drop; just about right for every situation except for off-roading, lol.
This is all a personal preference, sir.
Considering I am running the Apex springs (1.6" drop advertised, I think Balay measured it to be about 1.3" actual) and I hit the dirt quite a bit (no stump humping, but definitely lots of big bumps) I've only scraped bottom once, and that was on a 3 foot rise on a 45 degree angle (almost got high centered
.) Would I recommend it for everyone, no. Do I love using my car for whatever I please, HELL YES!
Of course I'm not talking rally cross, just the occasional, "Hey that looks fun, I wanna drive on it."

Also, something you may want to consider:

Depending on your dedication, it might be feasible to do a full winter prep come snow time. Swap out suspensions (if you get really deep snow and minimal plowing and more than an SVT drop) and winter tires around mid September every year. It'll only run you about 2 hours of your time per season (hell, you get to work on your car 4 hours per year scheduled
) and of course an alignment afterwards. Worth considering.

Oh, and I'm on those same dampers, just so ya know.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I have the BAT Springs and Spax dampner, 50mm or 2" drop. I love it although the ride is a little harsh with the poly bushings. In the snow, I did OK but this was not in MI snow.

I am actually getting ready to go back to a 35mm or 1.5" drop because of the roads around here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts