Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.focus-central.com/catalog/details.asp?cid=4&sid=&pid=98

Yeah i got one of these a while back cause my plastic one broke. They just put this on their website today or yesterday. But when i bought mine, they only charged me $50.

Yeah i sent a couple emails to them telling them to put it on their site and i guess they finally decided to. Anybody else ever have to replace theirs?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Son of a!
I'm just about to order a plastic one. I'm probably still gonna because I can't stand to deal with these guys anymore. Focussport please make one.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
my guess is its an oem part from another ford like contour or a zx2

look around and see what you come up with
YOU! This is your job and mine is to buy them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, this is a ford OEM part. You can get it from ford. The 2000-2002.5 came with a plastic shifter assembly (thanks to our geniuses @ Ford) The 2003 and the SVT come with a metal one that bolts right into place of the old one. I just ordered mine through FC because my dealership did not know what the hell i was talking about. FC gave it to me for $50 plus shipping. I told them they should put it on the site, and they did. I guess they are trying to make a profit from it now. Dont blame them either. Mine broke awhile back and my dealership just marked me down for abuse and said i had to pay for it because it was not a common problem among foci. So i figured i would call up FC and ask them if they knew anything about this. Sure enough, dave, the guy i talked to, broke 2 of the plastic ones and the owner of central coast broke 3 himself. So ford was obviously full of [censored] on this one so i called up ford corporate and bitched at them and left my dealership negative feedback. The dealership never called me about it. F them!

Anyway, FC told me that what i could do was just get the oem shifter base from an svt and it would bolt right in place of the plastic one. I tried 2 different dealerships for this part and they couldnt find what i was talking about. I just ordered it from FC because i didnt want to risk getting the wrong part and [censored]. But if you guys need this, just go to your dealership and tell them you need to order the entire shifter assembly from an svt focus. It comes with the base, the stock shifter, and knob. Also, the reverse lockout on the metal one is removable by taking off one of the screws and pulling it out with a pair of pliers. I keep mine on my keychain. But yeah, if you dont want to order it from FC, just go to ford. Will be cheaper.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
there was a post somewhere from Smoe I think that listed all the parts and Part #s... I'll look for it!

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Why would the SVT have a provision for a reverse lockout like the non-SVT 5-speed has? Isn't the 6-speed's reverse to the left of first?
I'd also like a good explanation of how a MTX-75 B&M short shifter (what I have) would fit into this SVT part when you can't use the same short shifter on a SVT that comes with this shifter stock.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
if its a OEM piece... there should be a part number stamped into it... take a look and report!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks the same to me...
Just a couple little differences, but same bolt pattern and shape and everything.
My old one looked exactly like the 2nd pic in that thread except mine was split in half.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
The one in the second picture in the other thread is supposed to be the NEW part. If you have that shifter base and it's split, then that doesn't say much for its durability. Why bother switching to it?

The Focus Central one appears to have a MUCH higher metal content (they even call it a "steel shifter base"). The base looks to be stamped metal of some sort and the top looks to be cast. The other looks to be plastic for those pieces.

You still don't see the difference?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts