Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got stuck in a major downpour (Flood) Trying to get home to park the car and I hit a major body of water. The cold air intake sucked it up and shut the engine off. I get the car pushed into a parking lot to dry out and hopefully get it started the next day. I go back this morning and I get nothing.. turn the key click turn the key again click. I tried to jump it and get the same result. I pulled the plugs and there are signs of water on the 2nd and 3rd plug. I cecked the oil and It doesnt look like any (or much) water is in the oil. I left the plugs out so that hopefully it will dry out. I have a fealing that the starter is either burned out or stuck... Any Ideas or suggestions?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
its [censored] anyway. Even if you eject all the water, the rods are not long for this world.

you need to do more than leave the plugs out. You need to remove the intake manifold and drain out the water sitting in the bottom of it. You also need to put a rag in the spark plug holes and turn the engine by hand to try to soak up any water sitting on top of the pistons. the cam lobes have probablly already started to rust so your gonna want to sand that off.

thats about the best you can do.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Yepp, you best bet (and this is only a shot at it) is to remove the intake like TXFO said, drain all the water and let it completly dry, remove the plugs, shoot some penetrating oil in the cylinders and turn the engine over several times by hand. Replace the plugs, change the oil and cross your fingers. Good luck man,

Scott

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
drop the oil pan too and clean that out. Right now it probablly looks like a chocolate shake in there. drop the pan and clean it all out. It would be a good idea to take off the oil pickup too and clean that out as well.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mine took a week to blow after it did exactly what you're explaining. At first, it just had a strange little vibration in the clutch pedal, barely noticeable if I just pressed the clutch down a little. Then one day going up hill at 20mph about 4500rpm BOOM.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
hydrolock makes your connecting rods weak. There's a really nifty link in TXFO's signature. Might wanna give Kansas Racing Products a call. It's time for a new engine. Literally EVERYONE I know that has ingested water has ended up with a car that runs for a while, but within weeks or a month, they end up shelling it, usually via a broken connecting rod flying out the side of the engine block.

At the very least I'd go to focussport.com and pick up some new Cossie Con-rods. And maybe their ARP Rod bolts. It's gonna be a loooong rebuild.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are going to see what happens to it today, the bad part is that I'm headed out of town for work this morning so I won't be here to find out... If I get a new engine, you can have my block...
Also does anybody know if the SVT engine would be a direct fit or would it be more headache then what it's worth... I don't want to give up the focus...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/577000-577999/577222_13.jpg

·
Registered
990 Posts
Do not drive the car anywhere. For the biggest headache saver, I very highly recommend buying pistons, rods, head studs, head gasket, piston rings, and bearings. Pull off the head, oil pan, oil pump, and windage tray. Hone the cylinders with a drill adapter hone, and install the new stuff. It will actually save you a massive amount of work in the end as this is far easier than replacing the whole motor.

I've been through what you're going through, believe me, do it.

my $0.03

1 - 11 of 11 Posts