Ford Focus Forum banner

waxing new paint

844 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  240ZX34V8
how long do you figure it should be before I polish/wax my new car? some people say that it should be a few months because the paint is still too fresh?? does that make sence?? thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
when I got my bumper painted the guy told me 90 days
See less See more
A repaint is one thing so yes typically 90 days wait on paint curing would be fine.On new cars though you shouldn't have to wait to wax it since dealers tend to "prep" new cars once they come in for resale.Others may have different suggestions too.
VI is right. OEM paint is baked, and can be waxed as soon as you get it. Body shop paint jobs are much "softer", and require adequite drying time, due to the fact they cannot bake the finish.

A new car should be clay bar'd and waxed immediately! They get lots of paint contamination between the factory and your driveway. Most dealers just wash them, which does nothing to help the paint.
~Dave
I buff on a glaze on every new car we get. It keeps all the contaminates that bond to the paint off the car for around 6 months. The lot boys then wash them about once a week to keep the crap off them. We're the only dealership I know of aside from a Caddy dealer, that does that to new cars. So if you get a new car clay/wax it right away, espeicially if it's white.
For the most part we clay bar and wax almost every car at the time of delivery that gets sold at our dealership, and in some instances we add a paint sealant in place of the waxing. It really sucks because people give us crap if the car doesn't look perfect (as they should) but then they complain that it takes too long.
For the most part we clay bar and wax almost every car at the time of delivery that gets sold at our dealership, and in some instances we add a paint sealant in place of the waxing. It really sucks because people give us crap if the car doesn't look perfect (as they should) but then they complain that it takes too long.
I love when people complain about something stupid on their car when their trade in is a complete dump.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.