Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just weighed some tire/wheel combos, thought it might be of interest. "OEM" wheels are the 15x 6.5 split 5 spokes that come on the zx3.

OEM wheels with OEM RSAs (195/60/15 about 70% tread left) = 35 pounds

OEM wheels with Bridgestone HP50s (205/65/15 almost new) = 42 pounds

Centerline RPMs (17 x 7) with Kumho 712s (205/45/17 about 70% tread left) = 34.5 pounds
I tried the HP50s back to back against the CL/Kumho 712 setup a couple times. The HPs are taller and therefore effect gear ratio a bit. That combined with the extra 7.5 pounds per corner made a HUGE difference in performance. Even with boost, the larger heavier tires made the car feel slow. The handling went right out the window as well.

I got the HPs in hopes of using them as a daily tire that I could take to the woods without destroying my wheels. I got them as tall as would fit to gain a little ground clearance. Well that was a waste of almost $400 bucks.

I will probably go back to Kumho R700s in 195/65/15. Perhaps on a Centerline Impulse. I stopped using the R700 as they are SO LOUD and only good for 7-9K, but they worked well on both dirt and asphalt.

BTW, I saw someone else was asking about the 712s in another thread. I think they are a good tire for the money. I would buy again for a street only tire.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
BTW, I saw someone else was asking about the 712s in another thread. I think they are a good tire for the money. I would buy again for a street only tire.
That'd be me...thanks for that info...I'll keep it in mind!

CCC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts