Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find saving weight (i.e 'gutting') to be very rewarding, and have stripped out the interior from the rear wiper to the seat belt covers to the headliner (everything to be recarpeted soon enough). I was wondering if there are any ways to cut weight from the engine, like removal of peices or replacement with lighter components. I'd like to stay true to the low cost of weight reduction, but am willing to spend a little cash. Thanks.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Lightweight Battery is a "Biggie".
UDP is more for engine assistance than outright weight-reduction, but it's another place to shed a LITTLE.
Washer-Fluid and Bottle?
Hoodliner?
That's about all I can think of w/o changing MAJOR Engine Components...

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
damnit there was this hilarious article about removing weight to race your car i couldn't find..

they remove the roof, windshield, fenders, doors, ... everything except what the car needed to run.

on a serious note, if you want to lose the weight i'd say the dynabatt, washer assembly, plastic splash guards (not much weight there) and basically anything you dont need...

i dont see how there is much under the hood you could lose and really see a difference from

·
Registered
26 Posts
[ 03-03-2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: toledo_ZX3 ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think aftermarket headers and cats are lighter than stock, also you could get rid of the EGR those together should save a few lb's and help the performance.If you have A/C you could get rid of that too.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
stock battery is 34lbs a genesis is 13lbs
replace stock crank pulley
used FC cam gears, the lights ones out (i weighted em all)
stock radiator fan is over 15lbs replace it with a flex alite single fan
stock cat is 18lbs, get a race header
egr crap is a few more lbs

thats all i can think of at the moment

hope it helps

chris

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Originally posted by demonfire:
damnit there was this hilarious article about removing weight to race your car i couldn't find..

they remove the roof, windshield, fenders, doors, ... everything except what the car needed to run.

on a serious note, if you want to lose the weight i'd say the dynabatt, washer assembly, plastic splash guards (not much weight there) and basically anything you dont need...

i dont see how there is much under the hood you could lose and really see a difference from
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it was in scc mag they got the car like 4 seconds in th 1320

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, you guys are great and quick! The battery is going for sure, and I'm gonna read a few EGR theads to find out more. Thanks a million and keep 'em comin'!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by iamgod:
drop your air conditioning...major weight!! ...fluidyne radiator..lightweight fan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I though about this but couldn't find any info on what size belt to use after it's gone...Is this actually possible??

·
Registered
253 Posts
Any idea how much the AC weighs?

Also, what are you guys that swapped to the light weight batteries using for mounting brackets?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DON'T TEMPT ME INTO TAKING THE A/C OUT!!!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
AC.... 100 degrees, 100% humidity... coming back from some place where your car was in the sun... walking to the car... start it up... turn on AC... go sit in shade... get in cool car... remember that there are things worth sacrificing.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
If you get rid of the AC and PS system that will save you a lot of weight. Other bonus is that once you have those components and their brackets removed, you can then take out the angle grinder and grind down all the mounting bosses on the block.

A hole saw works wonders.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
wow... i was thinking stuff that he could just remove like the plastic covers and stuff... you guys are in the 'go all out and lose that weight!'

·
Registered
253 Posts
Repeat request...

Originally posted by sts-zx3:
Any idea how much the AC weighs?

Also, what are you guys that swapped to the light weight batteries using for mounting brackets?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
222 Posts
Doesnt T-Fal make those lightweight racing lexan windows for the rear of the Focus?
Its another way to go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts