Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason when i am approaching a stop sign and put the car in nuetral with my foot on the clutch my battery light on the dash board will blick on for a second and then go right off...it hasnt had any adverse effects but i was just wondering if anyone had any idea what might be causing it.

thanks for any replies

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have the same problem and took it in but it wasn't fixed. When my light turns on I lose power steering - does this happen to you? This also only happens on my first time stoping after I start the car.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I dont lose power steering, but the first couple days I had my car the battery light came on and off, I still see a yellow flash on occasion but it hasnt stayed on or caused any problems.

This was happening before I put on my UDP as well and the UDP has not changed it at all.

I heard there was a potential recall on the positive battery terminal/connector/cable on the SVT's at one point in time so my guess is it has to do with that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i dont loose powersteering....although i could swear sometimes my power breaks arent working properly but i can never tell because it only happens like right after i turn the car on for like the first minute and hten it stops...but it doesnt happen all the time.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I have the same problem and took it in but it wasn't fixed. When my light turns on I lose power steering - does this happen to you? This also only happens on my first time stoping after I start the car.
thats probably cause your car stalled

·
Registered
262 Posts
for some reason when i am approaching a stop sign and put the car in nuetral with my foot on the clutch my battery light on the dash board will blick on for a second and then go right off...it hasnt had any adverse effects but i was just wondering if anyone had any idea what might be causing it.

thanks for any replies
Welcome to the SVT Club. I suggest you call them and let them know ALL SVT's experience the problem you mention. In the Tejas heat the problemo is exaggerated.....

Earth to Ford....can we have RLA7 pleezzzzzzzzz.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
The happens to me on the rare occasion first thing in the morning as I approach the first stop light. My car however stalls and obviously I loose power steering, etc.

I think I read that it was more of an ECU problem, but if someone's gotten this fixed please let us know!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
yes it is a ECU problem and there have been posts mentioning SVT is working on a new program that should address this. As well as loads of posts about this very topic!

·
Registered
883 Posts
thats probably cause your car stalled
It never stalls because the RPMs don't move at all. The radio and every thing else works fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i did a search before i posted i didnt see any posts about battery lights coming on at add times...i guess i searched for the wrong thing.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Like the guys have said, it's a pretty common problem the SVT's have. It's got something to do with the ECU controlling the throttle position sensor. The alternator RPM's drop low enough to cause the batt lite to flicker until the ECU kicks the engine up a bit.

Hopefully the rumor of the new ECU update is true. It's annoying as hell and quite embarrassing when one of my buddies asks why the car is doing it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah it really sucks when that happens, I loose power steering to. I am also having a problem with the car just dying. I will have the cluth all the way down and it will still die, or sometimes the car will be in neautral and still just shut down. This is not an everyday thing just occasions. Last night it happened twice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Like the guys have said, it's a pretty common problem the SVT's have. It's got something to do with the ECU controlling the throttle position sensor. The alternator RPM's drop low enough to cause the batt lite to flicker until the ECU kicks the engine up a bit.

Hopefully the rumor of the new ECU update is true. It's annoying as hell and quite embarrassing when one of my buddies asks why the car is doing it.
I concur
I like the dang car but when it idles like a Yugo....bahahahahahahaha...it is embarassing...

·
Registered
62 Posts
My car is in the shop for this problem. It is BAD in the HOT months. I live in Tampa. I posted once before on this and the dealer thought they had it fixed. Replaced the IAC assembly (I think). This didn't do the trick. I haven't posted much lately but let me give you the run down on my car.

In the shop for about 30 days in the last month and a half. The plastic nipple holding the cable that works the intake motor broke and the motor got stuck on. Result: New upper intake and replaced nipple with a redesigned part (I hope) They said the runners were bad. Also had the DSI clips installed. The horn was replaced and the A/C does not work correctly. The car idles at 750 with surge (gently) to 1000 at idle and you can hear a clicking noise from the engine area. They thought the intake repair would fix it. (A/C issue) NOT! Two weeks ago I stated the car at the end of the day and it ran like it was underwater. Took it to the dealer for that and the stalling issue plus the A/C problem. They have keep it until they could duplicate the stall with a computer hooked up to the car. They called and said they have a fix. They are replacing some plactic tab and the cam gear assembly - something along those lines. They did say the cams were OK. They think this will fix the stall/batt light issue and the A/C. We shall see as no ECU update was availabe or performed. I did not that after the intake repair I could not feel the upper/lower switch over the car felt and sounded the same all the way to the red line. I hope the cam issue fixes that.

P.S. Hope this helps. If anyone has any questions or wants more details on what has been done to my car pleae just ask.

P.P.S. I had billit (sp?) emblems on my car. The detail guy must have though it was dis-colored as teh rear one was sanded down to a shiny metal finish. They also dented my door frame. They are fixing that as we speak and were VERY cool about it. I having the stock Ford emblems put back on and some free maintenance services done to compensate me.

P.P.P.S. My brother just picked his SVT up from a diffrent dealer (Sarosota Ford) and they either left the drain plug off or overfilled the engine when he had his oil changed. The car was towed back and they are going to do a compression check and other test as it died in a cloud of smoke down the road from the dealer. They thing the motor may be dead. He was leaving from TN to goto school this Thursday. Oh well.

Sorry for the long post. I was know as TampaSVTF before I lost my login so if anyone wants to search for my orig. stall thread search under that name. OUT!!!!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I just got mine back from the dealer for 3 things: The battery light thing, emissions CEL, and a pinging noise when I released the e-brake.

1. They couldn't figure out the battery light. (Maybe someone's dealer can)

2. They replaced the TB with a new one for the CEL. I was getting super low voltage.

3. They insulated the equlizer bar so the noise would stop.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My battery light lit up on monday and has been going on and off for the last few days with no driving problems. Well last night the ABS light came on, then the air bag light came on, then all the gauges went dead, the needles dropped and the odometer turned off. It was still driving fine but [censored] just wasn't right so I pulled into a parking lot and let it idle. It died and I couldn't start it again. I waited about 10 min and it started right up with no problem, but after a few minutes everything repeated rather quickly. Battery light, ABS, Airbag, then dead gauges, rough idle and then stopped running.

I have 42,000 miles on it and it's completely stock.

So now I'm in a free loaner Taurus until who knows when...

This is the first problem I've had with it since I bought it. Labor day will be the one year anniversary since I purchased it.

I think it has RLA2. I never had it flashed because there were no problems.

I bought the extended warranty so we'll see if it's worth the money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
no i dont loose powersteering....although i could swear sometimes my power breaks arent working properly but i can never tell because it only happens like right after i turn the car on for like the first minute and hten it stops...but it doesnt happen all the time.
This has just started to happen to me in the past week. It usually only happens late at nite when I am leaving work to go home. Blinks on and off a couple of times while stoping. After a couple of minutes when the car warms up real good it won't do it a again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
They replaced the alternator....but I haven't gotten the car back yet so we'll see if that solved it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts