Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
yeah i noticed that too. also was how the one seatbelt stalk had like a felt type material on the side, but the other didn't. odd

·
Registered
39 Posts
Holy crap I saw the felt thing too like a week after I got my car (2001) and have always thought "that is odd". Anyone know why it's there?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yep, I noticed that on my SVTF and complained about it to the dealer and they took me out on the lot to show me all Focus are like that, and they were.

My guess it has to do with the seatbelt warning light/chime. Probably because the driver's seat belt insert has a wire running to a sensor to make the warning crap work.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I know why the felt is there, its for anyone with an armrest, so that way it doesnt scratch the center console up and so it doent make noise and such.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
yup, the felt was an NVH measure, prolly same with the ribbed versus non ribbed stalk.

When you think about it, the driver's side belt will (Technically) always be in use when the car is moving (vibrating). SO the seatbelt stalk can be limp, as it iwll be udner tension whenever the car is driven.

THe pass side may or may not be occupied, so they use a stiffer stalk so it won't hit against anything and buzz. HTat's what the ribs are for.

·
Registered
184 Posts
why does only the passenger seat have a pocket on the back?
Because the passenger seat is not used as much, and it is folded forward more often than the drivers seat. Due to this unusual wear pattern, it's made of a special covering based on kangaroo hide. The pocket is an unfortunate holdover. Ever notice how the empty passenger seat tends to bounce a bit?

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
None of you have ever taken your seats out apparently.
The passenger seat has an EXPLOSIVE pre-tensioner mounted to the inboard side of it. The cover is actually covering up two cables that go down, then around a pulley and attach to the pre-tensioner. If the pre-tensioner were to go off the cables would be pulled forward and, thanks to the pulley, would pull the seat belt down, thus "pre-tensioning" it.
The driver's seat does not have this (at least not on the seat, I'm not sure what might be in the pillar along with the seatbelt reel). It does have a switch to tell if you're wearing your seatbelt or not.

As for the seat back pocket issue... My 2000 ZX3 had none on either one (side air-bag equipped seats). It now has one on the back of each seat thanks to the people at Katzkin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts