Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did the first oil change on my new baby and it was easy as usual. except the filter which was a bitch to take out!! anyone ever had that problem?

and i want to start using synthetic oil but im not suppose to after a few 10k miles?? any clarification on this? i only have 3.300 miles on the car.

thanks

josh

·
Registered
409 Posts
You may want to do a search about switching to synthetic. I usually do it at the first oil change (2000 miles) and again at the second (4k mi)on my last two cars. I have done it as early as 800 miles on a brand new engine with no ill effects.

Others might say to wait. I really don't think it matters how soon you do it.

As far as the filter being on too tight, sometimes the monkeys at the quickie lube and the manufacturer think that torquing it to 700 ft.lbs is the only way to do it. It only needs to be hand tight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
you don't have to wait. get it in there asap! remember, many cars are factory filled with M1. Porshe, Corvette to name a few.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You're good to go, Josh. I use that and the Motorcraft filter and haven't had any problems. Turns out the Motorcraft filter is one of the best ones out there for the Zetec.

Really wish I could use a M1 filter, but it's made for the SPI motor - you'd think they'd get a clue and make the Zetec one.

The SPI filter will screw onto a Zetec, but the Zetec filters have check-valves that retain oil to cut wear at startup; the SPI's don't. You'd defeat the purpose of spending more on an M1 filter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet,I will use synthetic on my next oil change. I want my engine to last me and I heard this is one solution to a longer lasting engine. I love the pickup on it. Sure its only 130hp but it feels a lot different than other 2.0 engines.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
489 Posts
Mobil 1 man...all the way..I used to have an article about 3-4 years ago having the Castrol guys stating that their oil IS good, but the Mobil 1 guys were the market holders on Synth. oils...So if they admit it, then it aint that bad huh? Or AMSoil yo....mmmmm expensive though...

Robert

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I recommend Mobil One-I have used it for the past 12 years in all my new vehicles. Synthetic is one of the best investments you can make to keep your car running a long, long, time. People have different thoughts on oil change intervals but while I change mine every 5K miles its more importantly to do it regularly (3k, 5K, 7.5K), check it frequently and use a good quality filter-might as well be Motocraft.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I use Amsoil in the engine. Redline is also an excellent oil (it's in my transaxle--Redline MTL). Both are a little hard to get, however. Of the stuff that you can get "anywhere" mobil1 is good.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yea...ford likes to make the filters nice and tight from the factory, I work at a ford dealer, sometimes they are so tight on the first oil change that they get ripped to shreads trying to take them out. lube up the seal with some engine oil when you install your filter. this will make it easier to take off later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts