Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I F\'d up a Koni. Some help requested.

Today, at autox, when trying to set my camber, the head of the Koni finally gave, and stripped. What soft metal it is! Fortunatly, it was still in my street setup, so the car is still streetable.

At this rate, the other one is due to bust too.

Now the question. Does Koni repair struts? I know they can revalve them, but can they repair them? I wonder what that would run.

Or, do you think the only logical answer is to invest in something new, like some Spax...

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Re: Well, I F\'d up a Koni. Some help requested.

Dont Konis have a warranty?? ...This seems like something that should be covered since you were using them in the manner they were designed for when the failure occured...Unless of course you were using a sledgehammer to adjust them...

...Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

I thought they had a lifetime warranty like craftsman tools does. Just call them up and send it out no? Doesn't hurt to give it a shot.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

They do, and don't

"BUILT FOR A LIFETIME

Last but not least, KONl's are built to last a lifetime. Once you have bought a set of KONl's for your car, they usually will outlive it. KONI street shocks carry a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser for as long as you own the vehicle. "

And I got them used. Oh well...

And that link up above, the guys there said that they can repair it, but estimates are around 120 parts and 70 labor.

I guess its time for some Spaxs...

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So you stripped the threads on the shaft? Theres no way to tap and dye them?
No, not the threads, the hex head on top. I'll try to find a picture.

No good pics.

The portion above the threads, painted in yellow.

Kinda like what the person is doing here:

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Two options then.

Use vice grips on them, or carefully file two flats that you can grip with a smaller wrench.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Its not the damping adjustment, its the hex head that holds the rod in place when you tighten the strut nut down. Thats what is stripped.

For my camber adjustments, I have to loosen the strut nut enough so I can rotate it around. So I have a 19mm wrench on the strut nut, and a 8mm, 6 point (I think) socket on the hex head. Its the right size, just the metal gave way.

I'll give P-51's idea of vice grips a try. I can't afford to replace them right now, since my girlfriend's kitten has become deathly ill, and I need to help with the vet bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts