Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I came acrossed a brand new 16g turbo with an internal wastegate (real good price), the internal wastegate would make things alot easier making a custom set up, but what I need to know will the 16g be a good choice, will this turbo work well with the focus, I don't see why not, they spool fast and are capable of supporting 400 hp.
I just need a second opion. or two.

With all in mind when I am ready for even more boost, the 20g will be an easy change from a 16g.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well anybody out there have a second opion.
anyone?

·
Registered
474 Posts
From my DSM days...

16G is a GREAT all purpose turbo, and uses a common 4 bolt flange. Full boost is acheived around 3500ish and it makes a very efficient amount of boost. The T25 @ 14.7 PSI (OEM 2nd Gen Eclipse turbo) makes the same amount of heat (if not more) than a 16G @ 22psi (using thermal testing at a shop I used to work at).

20G is also a great turbo, but only meant for HIGH boost, high output motors. The lag is very very...laggy.

16G is a good choice and you cant go wrong with a Mitsu turbo. Make sure you get the "J Pipe" (outlet) as it'll make things much easier!

·
Registered
70 Posts
i can get you a ported and clipped 16g with about 500 miles on it. my friend had it on his awd turbo eclipse...gsx..... supposedly ran close to 350 at all the wheels... so i can talk to him about a price if you want one. i know he is willing to let the manifold and turbo and i think downpipe go for around 1000... let me know. peace. out.
scott

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey 02 Focus SVT, what kind(s) of DSM did you have?? I sold my 4th one, 92 awd talon, to buy my SVT. I'd just about had it with breaking stuff so I decided to get out of it b4 I really began to hate the cars. But I plan on picking up either a GVR4 or a 1g FWD turbo in the future...not sure, sleeper sedan or hwy monster??? Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but the 16g is an awesome turbo for many applications, i've seen it run high 11's, but most are solid 12sec street cars. If you get one, buy it new, it's well worth it for the $600 or so. I would suggest looking into a 6cm exh housing, may help your spool as opposed to a 7cm exh housing when running low boost. Running stock boost on my stock 14b, the car ran better with a stock manifold and 6cm than it did with a hogged out mani/7cm....god luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts