Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home from work the other night and I was about 1 mile form the hose crusing at about 80 whne boom! I looked in the rear view mirror and saw all kinds of white smoke. I then looked at the gauges and everything was normal. I have had a small head gasket leak for a few weeks now but I am waiting on the gasket to fix it. Anyway, so i continue on thinking that it was just atoo much coolant inthe chamber when my temp gauge starts to rise...FAST. I thne cut off the car and cruise into my drive way and the car lets loose smoke everywhere and a bad smel lof coolant. I jump out and open the hood to see coolant everywhere. After the smoke clears I inspect the hoses and see that the upper coolant hose has a 8 inch slit in it. I guess it go t a little too hot. I park it in the garage and and calmly walk upstairs and get out of my work clothes and into my shorts and a sweatshirt. I then go back down into the garage and proceed to beat the hell out of my heavy bag for about 30 minutes. After that I proceed to rip into the motor to see what hapened.

Well i gues the gasket leak got bigger nad just gave way. ALl of the coolant must have leaked out and the car got too hot. It only too me about 2 hors to take off the head withth ehelp of the ford service cd! I wa really impressed with it. Back to the story. It appears that the gasket gave way near the number 1 and 2 cylinders but thatnk goid that nothing go tinto the oil it still looks good. I am just waiting on the gasket and hose so I can get her back on th road. I cant belive that I got 2 different quotes to replace the head gasket for over 1000.00 I could have doen it in 5 hours if I had all the parts. Anything else I should do besides clean things up while I have the head off? Later

·
Registered
389 Posts
WOW, really lucky you didn't have a meltdown. I just had some head work done and did the R&R myself. I'd love to do a BUNCH for $1000.00 apiece.

Off topic: My buddy took his Pathfinder to 3 different shops to get a price on replacing an exhaust manifold. Cheapest was $2000.00!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by quicksilver:
When I put the motor at TRUE TDC the piston is exactly even with the block correct? Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's a really good question. Like I said, I just had my head off for some work. While the head was off I used my TDC pin to find out where the piston is with it in. Piston is BELOW the block by about .035 - .040 inch BTDC (don't know how that converts to crank degrees).

And if I took the pin out and moved the crank until it was at what I felt was TDC it was almost exactly even with the block.

I wasn't really sure which was better. The Service Manual says use the pin. So, I used the pin and the cam alignment tool.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
yes, when i changed billys head, at TDC, the piston is still a bit below the top...just move the UDP around until it doesnt go up or down anymore, and then, find the middle of that, where it just doesnt do anything, and that TDC

Taking the head off is fairly easy, cause you dont even have to touch the header or intake manifold...

good luck man

Make sure you line those 2 little tabs in the block up with the head and gasket, and put the head on FLAT< make sure there isnt any wire sticking into the block when you put it back or....when you get it on, just push all on it and make sure its flat, if so, youre ready to go, torque those suckers down hard

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well while i had the head off and soem tim eto spare I went ahead and port match my intake. It wasnt hard at all. A friend helped me do it. Actually he did most of the work because he is a professional ASE certified mechanic so he seems to know his stuff. ANyway it matched up great. I aslo mathced up the TB to the intake too. I am one of the fortunate ones who has the early 2000 intake so I hope to see a little boost in performance. Anyway I cleaed up the pistons really good and I dont think anything is damaged internally so I might have evaded disaster. Lets hope so. Now all I have to do is wait. I might as well change the timing belt while Im at it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have heard that its was .060 inch from the top of the block. im not sure but like you said the manual says use thje crank so thats what i will do.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alot of people see me working on my car and want me to do work for them but I usually dont becaue soemhting like this might happen. I would feel awful it it happened to soemone else.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alot of people see me working on my car and want me to do work for them but I usually dont becaue soemhting like this might happen. I would feel awful it it happened to soemone else. Now i will help outmy friends all day becasue it is understood that if it breaks we have another reason to get together and have a party afterwards!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts