Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm Not Better Than You Since I Drive a Porsche, I
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be installing a chip in my car. I just need to know what kinda computer my car has. I know there is a tag somewhere, but if someone could give me an exact location, I would appreciate it. I know where the computer is, and I looked at the tags on it, but nothing seemed like the correct one. Any help, and any imput about chips here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

[ 12-18-2002, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: EggYolk_Zetec_ZX3 ]

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
On the lower portion of the computer you will see a bar code label with a 3-letter, 1-digit code" that is larger than all the other text on the label. It should look like this (LDC8) or whateva u have. Ight HOLLA.

Check out myzx3.com they have a how to rhing on there.

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kennan...

Any input on chipping your cars, what problems, gains, or anything you think is important... please share. I am new at this tuning stuff.

[ 12-18-2002, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: EggYolk_Zetec_ZX3 ]

·
Registered
299 Posts
My advise....... Unless you have a auto, I wouldn't speed the $$$$$$$. I haven't seen the numbers to justify the return on investment. I think there are better mods out there for the money. My $0.02.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Originally posted by FocusBoy:
My advise....... Unless you have a auto, I wouldn't speed the $$$$$$$. I haven't seen the numbers to justify the return on investment. I think there are better mods out there for the money. My $0.02.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I totally agree. I've never noticed any difference when driving a chipped manual tranny Focus. Now, the Auto, that's another story. That would be a decent investment.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Originally posted by The ArchAngel:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by FocusBoy:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I totally agree. I've never noticed any difference when driving a chipped manual tranny Focus. Now, the Auto, that's another story. That would be a decent investment.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">autos are DEF. a difference

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree there isn't much of a difference with the chip in a 5 spd, but there is a difference in how my car drives and its not just the placebo effect. I've had my chip out for 2 weeks now (getting idle bumped up to 950rpm by FocusSport) and the car behaves differently. Seems to lug a little below 2000rpm and seems to pull a little slower in the high revs. I'm back to the 87 gas until the chip gets put back in, but I know that dosen't have anything to do with it. It is a good mod, but shouldn't be one of the first and the price for what you get only gets justified the more mods you put on your car, but hey...mine was a gift from Santa last year

·
Registered
45 Posts
So you guys are saying, chips in auto's are better?

what will it improve.
also new to the seen.

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a FC Race header, Borla cat back, and a few other mods. My next mods will be a UDP, Cams and adjustable cam gears. I kinda thought a chip might help a little there. My car is a 5-speed by the way.

[ 12-19-2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: EggYolk_Zetec_ZX3 ]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jonathan Kohl- from what I understand putting a chip in an auto changes the shift points so that the engine RPM's actually goes up high enough to feel more torque. I also believe that it raises the idle.

Putting a chip in a 5-speed eliminates the rpm limiter and also changes the idle a little higher.

I believe that this is right, if it isn't feel free to correct me.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Also changes timing and raises the speed governor, usually to the pount that you will never find it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If you have a manual, You'll most likely only notice that your speedlimiter and your rev limiter are raised.

If you have an auto, you'll most likely notice that your revlimiter is raised, your shift points are different, and your transmission shifts harder into gear.

In any case. you definitely need your rev limiter raised if you get stage 2 cams, or else you will not take advantage of the new power band.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would like to know if it removes that bastard tip in we have???I would do the chip last..Im gettin to the point where the only thing left to do would be a chip...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
I would like to know if it removes that bastard tip in we have???I would do the chip last..Im gettin to the point where the only thing left to do would be a chip...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you're refering to tip-in-retard timing during shifting, I think that the Superchip does reduce (or maybe remove) this. I had a Superchip for about nine months and I remember some posts back then about this. Don't know anything about Diablo chips.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I noticed a change in how the car runs more than a big boost in power. The other thing the the Diablo at least does is remove the tip in on the 5 spd. That makes a nice change in throttle response.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a diablo in my foci. i have a 5 sp manual. i noticed a huge difference when it was installed. I could feel a better pull in a high rpm. i was even running 87 gass. I even pulled it out to feal the difference. and there is. the car went back to being factory slug with out the chip.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Doesn't the chip also bypass the EGR/DPFE system?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts