Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cougar, Contour, ZX2, and Focus. I have heard so many differences, but not sure which are true. Ive heard the Focus one (non-svt) has VCT and the others dont (i thought only SVT had that), ive heard that one uses vacuum and the other is electric to regulate fuel, etc. Anyone know the real 411 on this?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Right, but if I remember correctly the only variable cam timming is on the exhaust cam.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Contour has VCT on the exhaust like the ZX2 for emission reasons and the SVT uses VCT on the intake for performance reasons.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
You've worked on these engines, so it'd be silly to argue. But you are 100% sure about the Contour Zetec having cam-phasing ability on the exhaust? Forever now, I've been told it was -only- the ZX2 that sported that.

TbirdJayC, it could (the Toyota VVTLi setup has cam phasing on both the intake and exhaust)... probably just a cost/benefit analysis. If the exhaust didn't do much for power production and the engine didn't present an emissions problem as it was, not worth the money (could be spent elsewhere to make more power).

·
Registered
836 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TbirdJayC:
how come the SVT doesnt just use both?<hr></blockquote>

Because it has the 2 stage intake manifold.

·
Registered
251 Posts
ZX2- VCT, mtx65(also called something else) but is a mazda tranny. Oil pickup is on the passanger side. differant design Intake man. setup.

ZX3- non-vct, mtx75, oil pickup is on the driver side.

the 98 contours have VCT all newer ones do not.

the center section of the motor is the same in all cars

the head and lower section of the block are the only differances.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts