Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having probs trying to find fully synthetic in the proper weight. How bad would it be if I used 10W30? Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Amsoil makes both 5w20 and 5w30 synthetic...5w20 being recommended for our model year and later (for emissions purposes only, as far as anyone can tell). That's what I use...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can I buy it? Any of it?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
After 12,000 miles, I switched to fully synthetic Mobil-1. I'm pretty sure they now have a 5W-20.
I'd have to go check the bottle to be sure.
5W-30 will be OK as well.

EDIT:
I usually Shop at Autozone or Wal-Mart for oil.
Autozone now carries the k&n Oil-Filters that I prefer to use.

[ 09-24-2002, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've been running Valvoline Synthetic since I got my car at 20,000KM. I use a Fram sure grip oil filter.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Originally posted by Egz:
Anyone have any experience with Royal Purple? Sounds nice, but real world, is it that good?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Some people find it works better but I think it's the " Placebo Effect". But if you believe the hype I have a nice cordless extension cord to sell ya.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Originally posted by Egz:
Anyone have any experience with Royal Purple? Sounds nice, but real world, is it that good?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Once you've done an exhaustive research comparing it to the synthetics out there, you'll find that Royal Purple will be better than most. Euro Ford Fan is right; the Valvoline Synthetic is a placebo effect.
In my old Nissan, I have been using the regular Valvoline 10W30 for 130,000 miles and now I have been using the Valvoline Max Life for 66,000 miles with no problems. I never saw the need to go with synthetic on that car.

For my ZX3, I've concluded that Amsoil 5w30 is yet better than the RP, and it costs less, so that's what I use. Oil consumtion so far is .125 qts per 7000 miles. I plan to change the oil every 15,000 - 20,000 miles, with filter changes every 7,500 miles. Well there goes the warranty...... ooops.

[ 09-24-2002, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Auto_Focus ]

·
Registered
400 Posts
what EXACTLY are the benefits of synthetic over traditional oil? when i first heard about the 5w20 being for emissions i just said screw it and stuck with traditional 5w30 valvoline or 10w30 for winter. there is no potential for me to be doing harm is there. somebody put link to a great chart about 1-2 months ago, ill see if i can find it, but it seemed useful in explaining what would and wouldnt hurt our engines...i dont want to be doing damage i dont need to do...any reccomendations?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys kick ass, thanx for all the feedback. Thanx for the input Auto-X.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Originally posted by Soon2bSaleenZx3:
what EXACTLY are the benefits of synthetic over traditional oil? when i first heard about the 5w20 being for emissions i just said screw it and stuck with traditional 5w30 valvoline or 10w30 for winter. there is no potential for me to be doing harm is there. somebody put link to a great chart about 1-2 months ago, ill see if i can find it, but it seemed useful in explaining what would and wouldnt hurt our engines...i dont want to be doing damage i dont need to do...any reccomendations?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Basicly, the advantage of synthetic is you are getting a consistant level of quality. With conventional oil, you have molecules of varying sizes and durability. Synthetic has a consistant leel of molecule size and quality.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by FocusInterceptor:
Marction, 5w20 is used not so much for emmisions, but for the close tolerances that are in the motor. You must have an oil that will fit in such small spaces
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">fair enough...so what then changed between the engines of '00 and '01 that had Ford switching their recommendation from 5w30 to 5w20??? I doubt they changed the engine, so did they just figure that 5w20 was better? Or did they get marginally better emissions #s without really having to do anything...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W 30, but I mean how do you know what oil is better over time anyways? Its not like you can just take your engine apart and inspect everything, well you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts