Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on a roadtrip in August and I CAN NOT have the car break down on me because everything is tightly scheduled.

I don't care if the car breaks down on me while I'm at home because I have the resources to fix it myself, but on the road, I'm SOL.

So... my main concern is the cylinder lock. If I keep it well lubricated, will that reduce the chances of it breaking? What exactly breaks?

Thanks
Ross

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Well, I had my ignition cylinder lock up on me once (of course, I was about an hour and a half from home at the time
, but right in front of an auto parts store
). I went into aforementioned auto parts store (where a fellow 'Jetter works
) and bought a tube of graphite powder lube. I blew some of that in there, and it loosened right up...this was well over a year ago, and I still haven't yet had to replace the ignition. Your mileage may vary, but this has worked very well for me even though I thought it wouldn't work at all.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When mine locked up, I tried the Graphite power and even tried some PB spray and that thing would not move.

Mine's a 2003 ZX3.

There is a new style IC made by Motorcraft you can get that doesn't have the lock up issue. You may want to replace yours now so you won't have to worry about it. I guess the old style uses very small tumblers and now Ford is using larger tumblers like all their other cars.

You don't want to drill that sucker out. I did it and it was no fun.

If you replace it with the old style IC, you might run into the issue again. Wouldn't want to drill that sucker out again.

The new style looks like the 2005 Focus where it looks like a two peice instead of the one peice like the old ones.

New style:

·
Registered
883 Posts
These instructions show you the details.

I had to use an allen wrech because without taking off the steering wheel, there's no way you're going to get a screw driver in that hole.

Click here

Also, I posted a link in this thread with details on removal of the IC.

Click here

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I just replaced mine on my 2003 Focus. It gave no indication whatsoever that it was going bad.

I find it kind of odd that Ford lists the TSB for this as applying to the 2000-2002 Focus. Was it supposed to be fixed on the 2003 & 2004 models? It appears to be the same part that was in the 2000 that we did recently.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
One solution, _dont have a lot of key chains. More weight on the cylinder it wears out faster. Personal experience from my mother working at a ford dealer. People with heavy pile of keys had more faliure rates

·
Registered
883 Posts
I only have my car key, gas key and my house key on a single ring.
That's 3 keys and a key ring.
So, not sure why mine decided to lock with no indication that it was having any issues.

On the new one, the small center section turns instead of the entire IC. This is the same one install on the 2005 models, I checked.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
One solution, _dont have a lot of key chains. More weight on the cylinder it wears out faster. Personal experience from my mother working at a ford dealer. People with heavy pile of keys had more faliure rates
Same here... I never had any other keys on the ring, and it still wore out.

It's just a bad design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts