Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having this argument today. Basically he was saying that the Impreza Wagon was a hatch. I said (whether it is correct or not) that a hatch was a car with no trunk (shorter than the corresponding sedan I.E. ZTS vs ZX3) and a wagon was either the same size or longer than the corresponding sedan, because it has a "trunk" (I.E. ZTS vs ZTW). Am I right in saying that?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I would want say first, that it would have to have 5 doors, but I now remember the sad VW Fox 3 door wagon. So what made that a wagon and not a hatchback? I think it's already been answered here, anything based upon the sedan platform with it's roof extended would qualify it as a wagon, and therefore the Protege 5 does qualify as a wagon. Remember the the four door version of the 323 that was marketed as a Mercury, that was a hatchback comapred to the P5. To see a good example look at the European editions of the Mazda 6 in sedan, hatchback, and wagon form, or for that matter the Ford Mondeo.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Actually, a more universal rule would be to base it on where the hatch is hinged- closer to the rear edge of the doors = hatch, closer to the rear of the vehicle = wagon; in the case of the Focus or Golf/Jetta, the "wagon" nomeclature defaults to the variant w/ larger cargo space.

Basically, if there was no Focus Wagon, the ZX5 would *be* the Focus Wagon. Another wagon requirement could be considered rear quarter glass. Another rule would be square or rectangular quarter glass = wagon, or absent/triangular quarter glass = hatch.

Quite frankly, with all this crossover business, the lines have been irreversably blurred.

Wagon, hatch, whatever. Either one beats the crap out of a sedan or coupe for cargo capability.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, could the Impreza Wagon also be called the Impreza Hatchback? Although Impreza Wagon sounds better

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by AnythingButAFocus:
4 Doors + hatch = Wagon
2 Doors + hatch = Hatchback

Andrew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so technically the ZX5 is a wagon to you

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Originally posted by NationwideClyde:
Actually, a more universal rule would be to base it on where the hatch is hinged- closer to the rear edge of the doors = hatch, closer to the rear of the vehicle = wagon; in the case of the Focus or Golf/Jetta, the "wagon" nomeclature defaults to the variant w/ larger cargo space.

Basically, if there was no Focus Wagon, the ZX5 would *be* the Focus Wagon. Another wagon requirement could be considered rear quarter glass. Another rule would be square or rectangular quarter glass = wagon, or absent/triangular quarter glass = hatch.

Quite frankly, with all this crossover business, the lines have been irreversably blurred.

Wagon, hatch, whatever. Either one beats the crap out of a sedan or coupe for cargo capability.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nah I'd have to disagree, because even older vehichles blurred the lines if you go buy this, the late 80's Civic Hatchbacks, would be considered a wagon by this standard as well as the early 90's when the late 80's the U.S. did have a civic wagon and the early 90's there was one in Japan.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Personally, I think that "wagons" with tiny spaces behind the rear seats should be called hatchbacks. For example:

I doubt the area behind the rear seat of this '80s Civic "Wagon" is significantly larger than the 3-door hatch (well, it's taller
).

But since they are the ones who built the car, they can call it what they want--there's no right or wrong.

·
Registered
190 Posts
IMHO, Hatch = 3 doors and Wagon = 5 doors. ZX5 on the other hand is kind of like a .... hmm.. not a normal car to me. It has the body of a hatch yet with characteristic of a wagon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So for the ones that think 3-doors make a hatch and 5 doors make a wagon, this would be?

And no, "a boat" is not an acceptable answer!

[ 04-30-2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: seminole_kev ]

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Wagon:

Hatch

(some will get the humor)

[ 04-30-2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: belacyrf ]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bela - this isn't a revival of the great 5-door SVT debate is it? That damn topic drove me insane.

If it is, then the top one is a family-mobile, soccermom driven minivan that should have fake wood paneling on it like the old 70's stationwagons and the bottom one is a sportscar akin to a Ferrari.

[ 04-30-2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: seminole_kev ]

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Originally posted by seminole_kev:
Bela - this isn't a revival of the great 5-door SVT debate is it? That damn topic drove me insane.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
I'm not trying to revive it.. just poking fun at it

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
if the zx5 is a wagon, then this must be an suv?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts