Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once my ZX3 gets up to running temp it really starts to smell. It's ok when I'm moving along because the increased air flow pushes it away before I can smell it. When I'm not moving however, the smell gets into the cabin air system and fills it with this damn smell. The best that I can tell it's originating from the front of the car. I looked around the see if I was burning a bunch of oil or something but it doesn't really look like it. Any ideas of what it could be and how to fix it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It smells like it could be my catalytic converter burning up or somthing along the lines of the acrid smell of burnt plastic.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Could it be something caught/stuck on the exhaust system and then burning/melting from high heat? a stuck and burning plastic bag can go on for awhile. otherwise it has to be something from the car such as a fluid (coolant, oil, trans fluid, ps fluid) contacting a hot engine part (exhaust). Any chance it is something electrical? that gives off a distinctive smell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stuck my head under there the other day looking for oil or something on the exhaust but didn't really see anything out of the ordinary. I didn't see anything that looks melted and nothing really points to anything wrong with my electrical system. The reason I say the cat is because the perimeter looks a little poc marked but my exhaust pipe tip is pretty much as clean as the day I brought it. I'll have to look again and maybe clean the little bit of grim off the bottom of the engine.

Thanks for the advice and ideas though.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
If you don't see Oil or Debris, and the car still starts, it almost HAS TO be the cat, I'd think...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts