Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Ford Focus Street edtion..has Zetec, and MTX-75 trans. Yesterday, shifting from 1-2 I hear a crack then from 3-4 something brakes and the shifter handle moves back a little farther than usual, and all the shifts feel sloppy. At this point, I cannot get the shifter into reverse at all, the whole assembly under the shifter stalk move with it, I can shift 1-5, however it doesnt feel right because of the excess movement. I did a search, and heard it could be the shifter gate? What is this part? What is the part # how much does it cost? I need to know what parts I need so I can order them. Is this something I could do myself? I am fairly mechanically inclined.

Thanks in adavnce,

Earl

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
The plastic tower that holds the shifter has broken. Mine is doing this too. Should be covered under warranty up to 36,000. If you're out of warranty, It costs about $26 at the parts counter at my local dealership, but they would have to order it. Should be about the same price everywhere.

Part Number: YS4Z-7220-GA

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
To actually change it out, is a bit of a pain. I am taking mine to ford to let them do it since I'm under an extended warranty.

Take out the center console:

1) remove all cupholder inserts. This includes the plastic cover inside the rear cupholder.

2) with a (10mm, I think) Socket, remove the three rear nuts from under the cupholder cover.

3) With a medium philips-head screwdriver, remove the two screws, one in each front cup holder.

4) pull the console upwards a bit, do not remove it totally yet.

5) Slide the cover boot over the e-brake handle

6) pry up on the outer edge of the gearshift boot, push up from underneath if you have to. It will pop loose from the console. Angle the boot bezel and pass it through the hole in the console

7) Remove the center console.

Now you see the tower the gearshift sits in? Look along the front edge. It's CRACKED into 2 pieces. There will be lots of plastic dust and debris there, too.

As far as removing the beast, I don't know. I saw it was held down by 4 bolts of unknown size. My guess is you'd take the shift assembly apart as if installing a shorty shifter, then undo the 4 bolts, and remove the broken tower. Replace with a new one, then assemble in reverse. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts