Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just interested if I should get a flex pipe or not. I do have the magnaflow cat back, but is it a must to get the flex pip also...Will I see any gains? Sound difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not sure about any gains but I think you need the flex pipe so your exhaust has some flexibility when your engine torques. The 'flex pipe' is the flexible part of the exhaust. Not sure if you need one or not. someone else will need to answer that Q but heres a link that shows the exhaust system. http://www.myzx3.com/how-to/cat-back.htm

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The focus comes with a flex pipe stock, he is talking about getting a bigger diameter, if it would make a difference. i dont know hehe im trying to find out myself.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I'm not sure how much difference just the flex pipe alone would make in engine performance. It was the last piece I got for my exhaust system, after my MBRP, JBA, and Random tech. I didn't notice any real difference after installing the new flex pipe. Am now running FC 4-2-1, Borla flex, modified MBRP. Overall thoough, it seems the right thing to do to have every piece of the exhaust the same larger diameter, especially if you are FI like my car is.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My stock flexpipe matches up prefectly to the last primary on my header. I like having it smaller next to the block since my exhaust is too girthy

No bottle necking here....I'd like to see someone prove that with an race header...Is there really a race header thas thicker than the flex?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
that is the ONLY part left on my car's exhaust that i need to replace. i have the cat/headers/cat-back just need a new flex. to get down and dirty... it can only help bigger the better!

·
Banned
379 Posts
the only way i would imagine you would see gains is if you had a high hp motor... likewise with a stock focus, adding a cat-back and nothing else is good for maybe 1 hp... but its just one more thing you can list to lengthen your mods paragraph...
id say go for it just for the hell of it!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so do you guys recommend I get one? Or should I just get a straight pipe and remove the cat?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts