Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I'm Not Better Than You Since I Drive a Porsche, I
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a stainless steel cat back, and my three choices due to cost are Flowmaster, Borla, or Magnaflow.

My question is, I want something that sounds deep, not with a high pitch rattle. I want a sound that says power. Though hp gains through exhaust are minimal.

I am leaning towards Borla, but I have a friend with a Flowmaster, and it sounds sweet. What do you think?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I got a 2.5 borla from yodude, and it is badass. nice deep tone, not ricey, and i hear borla puts a lot of money into their engineering.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i love my magnaflow. not too loud at all, yet pronounced.. also does not have a canister appearance, which was a major selling point to me.

·
I'm Not Better Than You Since I Drive a Porsche, I
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TTT

Anybody else? I am just curious here!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Running the Stainless MagnaFlow and Bosal stainless flex. Very happy, nice and deep, not buzzy, and lower profile welded tip with a no rice look. Tip has changed a little since the pics on this site were taken, but I think the new one looks better. Best price I have seen is on www.newedgeperformance.com , one of the jet's sponsors. http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/cat-back.htm Plenty of feedback in focaljet search archives.

[ 11-23-2002, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Borla and it is very deep. I love it but I have heard it gets to loud with header and high flow cat. I tried it with a Focus Central cat elim pipe and it was LOUD as hell! It was also fast as hell! TOP END WAS INSANE before JRSC!! I now have the JRSC and am putting the Borla and the pipe on again. I will KILL ALL.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got a Magnaflow about a month ago and I love it!! I got a diff. tip because I don't like the stock Mag. tip, plus I just wanted some thing diff.

Here's some pics.
It does stick out alittle far but that will be fixed when I get my body kit!!

I got it from Yodude! Top quality I must say!!

Mike

[ 11-23-2002, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: evil_zx3 ]

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Try ATR They have a SS system in 2.5" for around $399 + a CAI for $245 @(864) 972 3800

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If you want people to ask what you have under the hood then Vibrant is what you want!

·
Registered
15 Posts
hold out and get the HKS, youll be happy, i love mine and its just right, plenty of pick-up and much better throttle response, which youll get that from any exhaust that runs more than 350 bux.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got a 2.25 MagnaFlow stainless steal cat back from YoDude for $310.00 shipped. Very nice low tone when driving and accelerating. Quiet when idling. I'm very pleased. At Yodude you'll have a choice between MagnaFlow, Borla, or Dynomax for the same price I did. Don't pay more than you have to. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I like my Magnaflow. Its a pretty mellow exhaust. Once i throw the off-road pipe into the picture its a whole different story.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by 2003ZTSFrenchBlue:
I got a 2.25 MagnaFlow stainless steal cat back from YoDude for $310.00 shipped. Very nice low tone when driving and accelerating. Quiet when idling. I'm very pleased. At Yodude you'll have a choice between MagnaFlow, Borla, or Dynomax for the same price I did. Don't pay more than you have to. Good Luck!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">On sale at
http://www.newedgeperformance.com/magcatforfor.html For $289

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the magnaflow and I love it. A great catback system that sounds sweet. The Bosal Catback is also a sweet catback system too. This is a great time to looking for a catback system, since alot of dealers are haveing x-mas deals. Check out the myfordperformance.com and newedgeperformance.com for some good deals.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The Flowmaster catback is not stainless steel, just so you know.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
if the above Magnaflow picture is typical, I don't ever want to hear people say anything about the fitment of the Bosal system again!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Those pics are not typical, he has a different tip on there, that is why it sticks out like it does. The stock Magnaflow tip is tucked under the bumper quite nicely.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by staindfan:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MichaelXi:
if the above Magnaflow picture is typical, I don't ever want to hear people say anything about the fitment of the Bosal system again!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Those pics are not typical, he has a different tip on there, that is why it sticks out like it does. The stock Magnaflow tip is tucked under the bumper quite nicely.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I meant the Left-Right Alignment. i read what he said about tip length. My Bosal has been raised w/ a clamp, and is just a Smidgen off-center in the cut-out. Still, it's closer than that pic.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
I meant the Left-Right Alignment. i read what he said about tip length. My Bosal has been raised w/ a clamp, and is just a Smidgen off-center in the cut-out. Still, it's closer than that pic.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. Maybe adjusting the hangers would help correct that?

·
Registered
364 Posts
My Magnaflow was a little off center at first. But then I adjusted it before I tightened it up. It now sits in the center of the rear bumper cut out. Sound: just right not too loud, nice low rumble under 3k rpm. Quality wise

J.Graham

[ 11-24-2002, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Focuz 3 ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Bosal is the best IMO.

If that's just not for you, then I'd recommend going to a couple G2G's where there are several different systems, and hear them First hand.
IMO, the Borla is one of the Loudest I've heard, and will definitely draw unwanted attention.
I'm not too sure about the Magnaflow or the Flowmaster, but if the above Magnaflow picture is typical, I don't ever want to hear people say anything about the fitment of the Bosal system again! (It is being redesigned BTW)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts