Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
87 for my focus. chips require at least 91. otherwise stick with 87.

Jon

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
This is false.

Use the amount of octane required to prevent detonation on your motor. For a 99.9% of Foci this would be 87 octane.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
93.....with t3h chip

·
Registered
446 Posts
I used 89, because the town where I live 89 and 87 octane have the same price. I just switched to 92 yesterday, to circulate the fuel before installing the Diablo
chip.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
93 focus with chip and detonation, 87 and whatevers around in the beater

[ 01-27-2003, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: KicknZX3 ]

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I can run 87 with a chip... no problems. Gas mileage and power are identical between 87 and 91.... but I put in 91 before autocrosses... mostly for good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
93 octane.Car runs much better and have better fuel efficiency.I also liked alot the new Shell it seems different, I don't know if it's the specific gas station but is very noticable difference any time I use Shell 93.Car runs even smoother and has better acceleration.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sonoco Ultra 94 because its better for the environment.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If you use an octane too high for your car, you will have unburned hydrocarbons in your system which could lead to more carbon deposits. better to stick to 87 octane unless you are running a higher compression or FI.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
91 all the way. If I could get anything higher I would.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used 87 in my Contour except for autocross days - then to 93 w/ an octane booster too - don't really think it helped, but I THOUGHT it did!

Now in the Focus I use 87 - tried 89 and 93 on a recent trip to Florida and noticed NO difference in gas mileage. For now I'll keep using the 87 until I install the JRSC and have to go up to 93 all of the time.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
97 RON/93 All the time, from day 1.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Octane alone, will not make your car run better, if it is designed to run on regular at stock advance setting. Purity of fuel can be an issue. Ford does recommend 91 for SVT's. The more advance you run, the more air/fuel you can get into cyclinder. Low octane burns so fast, you use less advance, so it doesn't ignite before you get TDC. Since higher octane takes more time to ignite, you can sneek more in before it lights up. But if you use higher octane than engine was designed for, it means some raw, unburnt fuel is going to sit around the combustion chamber or be pushed out exhuast..Race fuel in a stock engine with stock settings, usually runs worse and worse.
Old trick of adding moth balls to fuel tank was to make fuel burn slower(try lighting a moth ball, they don't burn well at all) Vapor of moth ball cooled air charge- because it burned so slowly, and "raised" octane. Look at a can of octane booster. It doesn't make fuel burn better, it burns more slowly.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for burns caused by trying to light moth balls.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
87 oct for now.

After the turbo becomes complete and installed it will be 93 or 94

1 - 20 of 37 Posts