Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what happens to \"lemoned\" cars?

just curious bc i'm looking to buy a pre-owned car in the near future....

does anyone know what happens to cars that get traded in on a lemon law? do they get sold back out or what? if they do, would a carfax report or something similiar let me know?

Mike

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Re: what happens to \"lemoned\" cars?

they are sent to a dealership, fixed, and sold as a used car. As far as a carfax telling if its lemoned or not. IM not really sure on that.

·
Registered
325 Posts

I would imagine there's some "code word" if you will for "this car used to be a lemon".

Well, I sure hope so, because how can they be sure they fixed everything and in good conscience sell it just as a plain run of the mill used car? They're required to mention Salvage titles, I'm kinda presuming this is a similar deal.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts

Carfax checks for lemon law cars...

So they must go back on the market somehow.

I'd be pissed if i found out i bought a used lemon though

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

About six or 8 months after Ford bought my '02 SVTF back as the result of a dispute settlement board process I ran a CarFax on it. It came back with a lemon warning and showed that Ford was the registered owner. It would just be my guess, but for cars that are bought back by the actual Ford Motor Company I'd bet they wouldn't take the chance selling them again and they end up in automotive schools or back at Ford for testing/tear down. Hard to say though. I could see how they might want to make some money off them, but I wouldn't know if they'd take the risk. Many lemons are the cars they haven't been able to fix anyway.

If someone here has access to CarFax reports, drop me a PM and I'll try to dig up the VIN for my lemoned Focus. It would be interesting to see if it was ever sold again.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

i didnt technically Lemon my first Focus. But did get rid get it bought back by the dealer. A week later it was for sale.

·
Take a Bite of My Burrito!
3,139 Posts

They end up in little dealers just like the cars that are considered total losses.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts

If I remember correctly from what I was told in my auto mechanics class, lemon law return vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc...) are returned to the manufacturer and either scrapped or have the VIN removed so it cannot be titled again to be legally street driven, and then donated to education. We have a couple bikes and a couple cars at my college that we use in the auto and small engine shops.

·
Registered
418 Posts

My first Svt Focus was bought back by ford. About 5 months after they bought it back i ran carfax on it and it was at a dealership in indiana

·
Registered
6,296 Posts

Ain't that a bitch. For the second buyer. I mean, they obviously couldn't fix it the first how many times, hence you lemoning it, so now someone else has to deal with it?

·
Registered
418 Posts

Ain't that a bitch. For the second buyer. I mean, they obviously couldn't fix it the first how many times, hence you lemoning it, so now someone else has to deal with it?
Yeah i thought it was pretty [censored] ho someone else is gonna buy it now, i should post the vin number to see if anybody on here bought it

·
Registered
4,197 Posts

When the car is officially registered as a lemon, it is not re-sold at a reputable lot. The dealership sells it as a lemon at auction.

I would buy a lemon focus if I found one cheap enough. Dealerships often won't register new car lemons though, they would rather install a completely new drivetrain than let the car be "lemoned"

·
Registered
418 Posts

When the car is officially registered as a lemon, it is not re-sold at a reputable lot. The dealership sells it as a lemon at auction.

I would buy a lemon focus if I found one cheap enough. Dealerships often won't register new car lemons though, they would rather install a completely new drivetrain than let the car be "lemoned"
My car had a new engine and drivetrain installed at 2300 miles and Ford still bought it back, whether it was classified as a "lemon" or not is beyond me. Im sure it was, being that they bought it back with little dispute.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts