Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

One quick question I have both the JBA shorty headers and the Borla exhuast and I don't want to get rid of my cat. So what do I do?

Paparoach

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Do you have plans for turbo?

If so, 2.5" flex pipe to begin with...

If not, 2.25" flex pipe.

Focus Central has a 2.25" for sure and YoDude Performance has a 2.5".

You could purchase a high performance catlytic convertor as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do plan on going to a Supercharger....so what then?

Paparoach

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Get a 2.5" flex pipe from YoDude Performance. They are a focaljet.com sponsor.

Random Technology has a high flow cat covertor. I'm not sure of the diamater. www.mcnewsautomotive.com has it on their site. Others may be available and someone could have that information.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I go to a 2.5 inch flex pipe and a high-flow cat I will be fine for now and later with a supercharger?

Paparoach

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
yes. ideally you would want 2.50" with forced induction but it will run fine... perhaps you will see low end torque losses but it should really open up on the top end.

[ 09-16-2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Trey ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Yes.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Trey:
yes. ideally you would want 2.25" with forced induction but it will run fine... perhaps you will see low end torque losses but it should really open up on the top end.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
I was posting as you submitted.

I think you meant 2.25" WITHOUT Forced Induction, Larger With F/I.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn I didnt want low end torque loss but what can I expect? What dyno numbers so I get with those mods and the ones included in my sig...

Paparoach

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I don't know about the dyno #'s, but you want at least 2.5" for the Forced Induction. If you weren't planning on that, I'd say 2.25" would give you better #'s. At the same time, 2.5" is not SOOOO much larger that it will KILL you, if you are indeed on a plan for a Supercharger in the future. Ideally, for F/I, you'd want at least 2.5" all the way down the pipeline.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks bud that is what i thought, that is why I went to the Borla I was scared for a bit there, I thought I went too big. Cool moe dee.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Of course it WILL be LOUD!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How loud? Scare the stripes off the skunks loud? Or drive me wife nuts loud? I thought the Borlas was the best option for being quiet....I can always add a resonator, right?

Paparoach

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I fixed my typing error.

You will see the increase in low end torque change, once the SC goes on.

Keeping a cat convertor will help. Your wife will hate the sound, I'll tell you that much without the cat. With it, she can probably deal with it.

Look in the Focus Central forum for a thread started by Ollie18. It addresses resonators.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys....

Your help is always appreciated.

Paparoach

1 - 15 of 15 Posts