Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why do alot of people say that the civic is better then the focus. i get alot of heat from the guy at work becuse i tell them that a stock focus will beat a stock civic.
what does the civic have that the focus doesn't?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
rice... lol some have vtec... got to watch that...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
why do alot of people say that the civic is better then the focus. i get alot of heat from the guy at work becuse i tell them that a stock focus will beat a stock civic.
Proven reliability. A better compnay behind it. Decent Resale. That's about it.
Personally I think the civic isn't as good of a handling platform as the Focus, and most even more underpowered than the underpowered focus. The PZEV or SVT focus seem to have better engine power to match the chassis. The civic hatch will forever be popular with people for it's light weight. Some people prefer chicken, some like steak. No point in arguing over them since both are possibly good cars.

My opinion: The new civic is junk, buy it for groceries, not speed. The older civics are better, but are now showing their age in handling when compared to cars like the focus. The focus is my pick because I dont really care about reliabilty, and I believe that Ford CAN make a decently reliable car.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
rice... lol some have vtec... got to watch that...
Just because a honda has VTEC doesn't mean its fast though. DOHC VTEC is the only one that's there for performance (now DOHC I-VTEC). The regular SOHC VTEC's are junk too, I laugh whenever some civic EX owner says his car has VTEC. Every honda enthusiast would agree with me on that too I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
trust me i know that they aren't fast... i agree with you my man.. i HATE THEM more than anything.. and they always want a run... getting faded.. lol

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
They have a better quality reputation than the Focus, as well as a massive aftermarket. They are also nice cause you can swap engines relatively easily and cheaply with other Honda 4 banger products. They don't really handle as good stock but that can be easily remedied with aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
umm i dunno what they be smoking..but I have yet to have any problems with the new civic SI in my PZEV-mobile..hhmmm 95 lbs ft TQ vs 135 lbs/ft TQ yap we know the outcome of that one...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
You dont even need a pzev focus to be better then a civic si. When i was at the track, i went up against a 2003 civic si, i had just an exhaust and intake, and i left him in the dust right from the begining. By the way i have a zx3.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Every new Si I have seen run at the track finished in the low 16s/very high 15s. Either the car needs to be driven a specific way (a la FSVT), or it is just slow.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The Civic has "Mass Appeal and Time" on it's side.
Remember, basic America is basically dumb and thinks like sheep. Remember how many records Vanilla Ice sold?
There Are MORE Civics in Total, but that has Nothing to do with "What's Better".
Don't let these people bug you.
Remember, VTEC is just a Band-aid for lack of torque in the low-end.
Late 80's Civics REALLY have weight-savings on their side, but that's a little bit "Apples and Oranges".
Practicality, Price, and Performance compared, it's Focus, Hands Down.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I think that the civic si's are slow, and my focus is just magicaly fast. I must have gotten a nice cam gear setting from the factory.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
I must have gotten a nice cam gear setting from the factory.
What you just said doesn't make sense. It's very hard to vary setting of a cam gear if it's non-adjustable
Actually he's almost right, early Foci (don't know if it was changed in 02-03') didn't have a center point marked on their cam's. Alot of different foci came from the factory with big differences in power. Some would dyno at 112hp and other's would dyno at 103hp. Of course he said cam gear when i think he meant CamShaft.

Ohh and for everybody else, according to KBB.com the new Civic Si weighs 2744 lbs. Thats the exact same weight as the SVTF.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The new Si's are lame. The old one's are a little better. My friend runs a 9.4 in the 1/8 with his 1999 B16A2.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you want to go fast in the 1/4 mile...a civic is better. Pretty much any year. FOr little $$$ you can put one in the 14s, for under $3000 you can be in the 12s. No way you can touch that with a FOcus. But if you want a car that's just plain fun to drive it's the Focus hands down, and you don't see every other Focus on the road with some cheesy aftermarket lights or wing on it like you do Civics.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
MichaelXI, this quote rules. Mind if i save it?
Remember, basic America is basically dumb and thinks like sheep. Remember how many records Vanilla Ice sold?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
i like the new SI better than my focus, but i like the SVT better than that. Ive always been a nissan guy other that my focus, so hondas never really appealed to me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The new SI is a ZX3 ripoff IMO. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Honda state in the late 90's that there was no longer a market for 3-door hatchbacks in the U.S.?

...then the focus came to North America, and the "New SI" was slated to be -- a 3-door hatchback!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts