Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new exhaust system but want one that will give me the most HP. Which one out there is the best and will keep your car street legal?

On a side note how do I change my username? Is it possible? I kinda made a mistake on my username.

03 pitch black ford focus zx3 no mods yet.

Although I'm working on it...although going to college really kills your money.

·
Registered
729 Posts
theres an exhaust shoot out in the works that will give numbers on which system will do what to a focus,,,,but we have been waitin on that for a long time *hint hint*,,,other than that man, do a search and check out peoples opinions,,,

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is no said "best" exhaust out there. More or less you need to think, what is "best" for me, my car, future plans and etc, etc.

I am going T/C, so naturally i chose the Borla. Its 2.5, not 2.25 like most others. That and I have always loved the sound of a borla system. So I got lucky, one of my favorite companies makes the larger diameter system.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Welcome Jeffery...

Yeah, the search will yield you more than you can imagine.

In the end, they are all about the same from a nominal HP improvement, but the "Cat-Back" is only the beginning, to really leverage exhaust flow you will need to swap out the header, cat (with a shorty), and the flex-pipe to really let it breathe. Combine with an intake and the car will aspirate much more thoroughly.

I have the Borla as well and love it. Yeah, it is a little louder than some, but the Borla tone is distinctive and not tinny.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The best exhaust out there is the MBRP catback.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The best exhaust out there is the MBRP catback.
cool...someone just stepped up and declared it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
really gains are pretty equal on 2.5 vs 2.25. As long as the exhaust in stainless steel ur good to go

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The gains from the exhaust systems out there are pretty much the same maybe a 1hp different between them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
at what (approximate) RPM do catbacks prove to be beneficial? 4000 and up?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
at what (approximate) RPM do catbacks prove to be beneficial? 4000 and up?
Depends on the catback. As a general rule the 2.5's will gain more up top and lose more down low. The apex'i i had was nearly 2.5 inches, but gained all kinds of low end, while being about as good as the bosal i had on the top end. They all seem to work about the same, i'd recommend going by looks, sound, and fit. Those are all opinions, so decided for yourself.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Welcome to one of the most commonly asked questions on Focaljet!!
The answer is based on whether you want to remain naturally-Aspirated, Go Turbo or Supercharged, what kind of Quality you're looking for, what kind of sound you like, how much you want to pay, and how you like the look.

Personally, I recommend Bosal.

·
Registered
397 Posts
eww not bosal not that can back go Borla if u want to pay or go Magnaflow if u wanna save

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Welcome to the jet Jeffery. You asked a question that has been asked a thousand times and usually stirs up a lot of opinion. A lot of what you'll get is biased opinion supporting what ever exhaust system the author has on his / her car. There is no "BEST" cat back as most of them perform pretty much the same, however, there is quite a variety in sound. Even the performance difference between the 2.25 and 2.5 inch systems are marginal at best. I have a JRSC on my car with a 2.25 system now and at one time had an AEM 2.5 system with no difference in performance. Your quieter systems are the Magnaflow, Apexi, FS stealth, and possibly some that I mised and those named aren't in any specific order, but the others, like Bosal, Borla, Thermal, AEM, FS, ect. are only marginally louder so it really depends on your taste and ear. Your SS systems will probably be a better choice where corrosion is a problem but SS is also more prone to cracking since it's a more brittle metal. The aluminized systems although are more prone to corrosion, they're a little more forgiving in the flexibility department. Keep in mind, even the quietest systems will come alive if / when you use a race header and / or ORP. I have the magnaflow system on both our foci. Kathy's is super quiet and mine roars. She has the stock exhaust header and I have the race header. Bottom line is it's all about personal likes / dislikes. Hope this helps you at least in some small way. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Without a doubt, the Bosal is the best.

but seriously, they all do pretty much the same amount of gains, so it's a matter of taste.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I think the bosal is fugly with the big can muffler, what about flowmaster?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Sorry to be rude, but do a search man. This exact topic pops up about 2 times a week.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
stock rules.

seriously, the stainless steel exhausts are so similar in performance, it's more a taste of look and sound.

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
I think the bosal is fugly with the big can muffler, what about flowmaster?
i have the flowmaster system and it freeekin rocks..no one talks about it though, everyone says bosal this and magnaflow that...i hate the coffee can rice look

just my .02

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I don't like the "Coffe Can Rice Look" either, but IMO, the Bosal doesn't fall into that category.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts