Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do car insurance companies consider the Zx3 for insurance. Economy? sport?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
A Family Hatchback, or "Economy Car".
The SVT is ranked a little differently because of those three letters, but it's cool that you can take a ZX-3 and mod the hell out of it, and it's still a "Family Car".

·
Registered
288 Posts
"compact" is what the window sticker says for ZTS. thats on the fuel economy thing...not sure if its the same for ins or not.. my mustang window sticker says "sub compact".. .weird.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
My insurance company gave it a sportier rating -- something like "sport economy" (
) -- because it only has 2 passenger doors. It's funny that a ZX5 would qualify as a grocery-go-getter.

The SVT gets the shaft because it's a limited production vehicle, a "performance" trim level, and (for the ZX3-Based SVT), even "sportier" due to having only 2 passenger doors. I should call up my insurance company and ask them for an insurance comparison with an SVT, SVT5, a ZTS, ZTW, ZX5, and ZX3. If I get around to it, I'll post results. My wife has a 100% clean record. she's older than 25 and married, no kids, and works a mile away from home. I'll probably tell them she's thinking of a new car and we want a comparison because she wants a focus (even though she's really rather have a new Thunderbird, Celica GT-S, or a low-mileage 3000GT VR-4... I won't tell them that....
)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The focus is actually pretty expensive to insure in any trim, because it gets crashed/totalled a lot. I believe that has more to do with the rates than the vehicle classification does. I mean, there's one guy on this board that single handedly raised my rates $30 last year... you know who you are...

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
The focus is actually pretty expensive to insure in any trim, because it gets crashed/totalled a lot. I believe that has more to do with the rates than the vehicle classification does. I mean, there's one guy on this board that single handedly raised my rates $30 last year... you know who you are...

rpvietellio (sp?)? HE totalled like 3 foci already didn't he?

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
yeah i work for an insurance company, and normal Focus is almost up there with the WRX.. the SVTf is actually a bit higher

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Despite having a record free of moving violations, my insurance for the car has always been disgustingly expensive, ranging from $290 to $410 per month. I was told that that is because of a high-rate of claims and the car being relatively expensive to fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts