Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of your are going to roll your eyes at me but I admit I deserve it with this stupid question: What exactly is zetec?? See I recently bought a Ford Focus ZX3 with Zetec mistakenly thinking that Zetec was like Honda's V-Tec. Big mistake...Now I need some help..

I researched it on the net and ask even dealerships (which I concluded that dealers don't really know s**t about cars, well 90% of them anyways..) but came up pretty much empty. Even my car magazines such as HCI and Sports Compact didn't even have much to say about it. The most I learned is that Zetec is European based and that it keeps the engine quiet while kicking the mad torque (which I found out by myself just driving my focus). The only other thing that I found is that zetec does help control the airtake timing, and possibly the cams too..that's it.

So in conclusion...what exactly is zetec..and please no pies in the face..I'm embarrassed enough already..

ONE

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Zero Emissions TEChnology
....heh pathetic right

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
its just looks pretty and follows the tec(h) trend that all MoCo's are using. For all practile purposes it could be called something else.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Besides being just a name, the Focus features no wacky engine technologies beyond fuel injection and 16 valves. The cam timing is fixed, the manifold length is fixed, valve lift is fixed, etc. Not very exciting, huh?

The SVT version features a variable length intake manifold and adjustable cam timing on the intake valve. Compared to the standard Zetec, it is a fairly advanced engine.

The ZX2 version of the Zetec has VCT (varible cam timing) on the exhaust cam... mostly for emmisions, but the ZX2 guys have been known to make some pretty impressive low end torque.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
all it is is a name!!!!!!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
IIRC, the Zetec name was around BEFORE V-Tec.
It's JUST a NAME. It's an engine. WHY does it have to do something "Special" to be cool?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Good god... someone needs to email that poor kid and express that teh zetec doesnt scrub air.... especially with no cat or smog equipment

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The other thing he needs to remember is that he needn't be embarrassed just because his car isn't STARVED in the Low and Mid ranges in the name of fuel economy/emissions, just to finally wake up when you hit the higher RPM. The Zetec will give its all, all the way through the range.
You don't HIT Zetec, 'cause it's already there.
W/ V-Tec, you have to wait for it to finally get to what it should have been doing all along.
Don't be embarrassed by the Honda boys just because your car can be at full strength more quickly.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*really frustrated*

Well after souping up Toyota Celicas, 300ZXs, and mostly Hondas..it sorta ticks me off that Zetec doesn't do or stand for anything. At least VVTI and V-Tec stand for something and actually does alot for the speed and power of your car. I guess I have to model my zetec ZX3 like a SVT before I can really pull all of it's power (of course add a turbo, intake, exhaust, etc)..

*sighs*
oh well...time to pull some Neons and Cavilars...
Thanks again for your help..

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
"..... V-Tec stand for something and actually does alot for the speed and power of your car...."

Yeah, it slows you down 'til you actually reach higher RPM.....

What's so frustrating about NOT having that problem?
If a name frustrates you, good luck in life, man.

"oh well...time to pull some Neons and Cavilars..."
It sounds like you're going gardening. "I think I'll go pull some potatoes"...

Also, What's a "Cavilar"??

[ 10-08-2002, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
"..... V-Tec stand for something and actually does alot for the speed and power of your car...."

Yeah, it slows you down 'til you actually reach higher RPM.....

What's so frustrating about NOT having that problem?
If a name frustrates you, good luck in life, man.

"oh well...time to pull some Neons and Cavilars..."
It sounds like you're going gardening. "I think I'll go pull some potatoes"...

Also, What's a "Cavilar"??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You know, stuff like VTEC always made me think it was just an econo-trick. Like back in the 60s with 3 2-barrel carbs (run on 1 set for economy, punch it for all three sets and tons of torque).

With VTEC, you cruise around in the normal band, getting good milleage; and when you need power, the other cam kicks in. If you wanted power without worry to milleage, you could just run the hi-po cam the entire time.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You know to this date iv never raced a single n/a civic celica supra cavilier or miata that can beat me in stock form.. I run a stock zx3 and this car is quick right out of the factory... 3rd fastest car at ohio valley in my import class with 10.2 at 68 miles an hour in the eigth. And thats all stock scratch a cone air filter jerry rigged onto the end of the MAF. none gives me **** about my car When i went racing friday night I pulled on a 99 eclipse and womped a 92 v6 supra 2 preludes with vtech and a crx with an h22. One day people will realize its not the car thats fast its the driver. A fast driver drives a fast car.. realize this and kick some ass in your focai

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm sorry but this thread is just retarded.

"Zetec" is a name, just like "Duratec", or in the case of hondas, "B16" or "D16", or in the case of toyota, "2ZZ-GE".

VCT, VTEC and VVTL-i are simply systems of varying valve lift/timing, analogous to BMW's VANOS or Porsche's VarioCam. (You ever wonder why BMW or Porsche drivers don't go around screaming VANOS or VarioCam like the Honda drivers do about "V-Tec"
)

Really these are just systems to cram more air effiecently into the engine through a range of RPMs. Of course you can easily process more air by just having a bigger engine. The only good thing about a smaller engine is fuel economy and packaging.

In conclusion, Honda and Toyota engines are too small and that's why they need "V-tec".

"Z-tec" Rules

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Originally posted by Generic Focus:
I'm sorry but this thread is just retarded.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why? He asked an honest answer and got a lot of honest replies. He stated RIGHT UP FRONT that he doesn't know a lot about the subject. Please take this into consideration next time you post. FocalJet isn't about insulting somebody's threads, it is about helping everybody learn as much as they can about their Focus!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Originally posted by Travis:
You know to this date iv never raced a single n/a civic celica supra cavilier or miata that can beat me in stock form.. ...

When i went racing friday night I pulled on a 99 eclipse and womped a 92 v6 supra 2 preludes with vtech and a crx with an h22.
you spanked supra's? damn. must have one of the good ones ford made...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts