...my current set up is as follows:

Magnaflow exhaust
Esslinger Underdrive Pulley
Steed Hi-Flow intake

I'm getting the following:
4-1 headers
Highflow catylic converter
Flex pipe

Basically just going to finish up my exhaust. Any idea what kind of gains I can expect from this set up?

Thanks for any feedback.

-AM

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
first off, by 4-1 do you mean race header or shorty?
if you're getting the race header, maybe 8hp? you'd lose some by adding the cat. this would require a universal cat being welded in somewhere downstream as the header removes the stock cat.

if you're talking shorty, maybe 5-6hp, not nearly as high up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it would be shorty header.

Only 5-6? Hmm...the high flow cat is supposed to add 4 at the wheels by itself...that's very little gain from the header/flex pipe...oh well. Baby steps! =)

-AM

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
shorty headers don't give you much at all, generally 1-3. somewhere along the line, you'll run into diminishing returns as well. regardless, maybe i was a little low, but don't expect much more than 7ish at the wheels, unless ive been misinformed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to get race headers...but emmissions here on PA wont allow me to. =(

I guess I'm stuck with the shorty header...Oh well...

-AM

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
5-10 max....you'll feel a difference on the butt dyno though...and with the type of mads your making it sounds like that is what you are looking for...Peace

Lox

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I'm willing to bet closer to +10.
I dyno'd at 117-8 and 128 TQ w/ the mods in my sig, and was told that tuning w/ cam gears would bring that up.
If you started w/ a typically decent 108, that's +9, and the header should add a couple more.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
+10whp and +10TQ your gonna get some madd ass low end with that shorty header

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would love to get race headers...but emmissions here on PA wont allow me to. =(

Hey man I live in central pa and the emissions here are coming out in feb,04. I have a 4-2-1 race header and I was wondering if I would pass emissions with a high flow cat. I work at a garage and I know all the limitations, but the rules say they arent going to do a sniffer test just a visual inspection to see if eney emissions components have been tampered with and that sounds to me like that is saying you cant change the factory cat.
you guys that have emissions please if you could give me eney info on that it would be appriciated.
thanks.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
when i had just a high flow intake, ported tb, pullies, chip, and went to a JBA shorty, high flow cat, flex, i noticed a DEFINATE increase in power. throughout the whole powerband. so i'd guess what michaelxi and focusonmyzetec said, as well.

it's gonna get a LOT louder tho man.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
shorty headers don't give you much at all, generally 1-3. somewhere along the line, you'll run into diminishing returns as well. regardless, maybe i was a little low, but don't expect much more than 7ish at the wheels, unless ive been misinformed.
AHH! Someone else that knows about diminishing returns! YAY! You cant just add up the mods claimed gains and expect to get that. The race header gives like 7-8 or so at the most, so i'd say a high flow cat will knock that down about 2-3 hp, plus those shorties aren't really the best designs...i'd guess about in the 3-4 hp range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts