Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many people, I use a bunch of cheap tools that I've collected over the years. I would eventually like to get a sturdy set of tools for my car, and I'm just curious about what all of you car guys would recommend. I have a Sears charge card, so I was leaning towards Craftsmen, but wasn't sure how good they are. I'm tired of breaking all of my cheapo ratchets by applying too much torque on them (cause you know I'm just that strong). I hear a lot of people making a big deal about Snap-On Tools, but are they really worth the money or is it all hype?
Also, what type of tools are a "must have" for any greasemonkey (ei: jackstands, or specialty wrenches)?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Snap-on is 100% worth the money. but most people dont have that kind of cash. Unless you've been in the biz awhile, craftsman is the way to go. they are very durable and if you do break one, Sears will replace it for free. as far as must haves, jackstands, floorjack, torque wrench, full set of sockets, 3/8 and 1/2, metric and standard (deep sockets too). hex bits, screwdrivers, can of PB blaster, compression guage, strut spring compresser, breaker bar, spark plug gap wrench.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I use RIDGID and Craftsman tools Keep an eye out next month for some awesome new RIDGID PET's both corded and cordless!! Great stuff!

·
Registered
723 Posts
almost all of my tools are craftsman and only 1 broke. i took it back that day and sears replaced without any questions.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the quick responses guys/gals. I guess I'll go look at the Craftsman sets at Sears. It's just something about Sears that I wasn't so sure of...do you guys trust a place that sells Tires AND Suits & Ties under one roof? haha. Well, I guess I use to wear those TuffSkins jeans w/ reinforced kneepatches from Sears back in the 70's, and those were pretty durable. Hopefully their tools are as well...lol...

·
Registered
943 Posts
If you can hold off for a bit Sears usually has kick-ass deals on Craftsman sets on Black Friday. Last year was like a 280 piece set for $149.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
My main tool set is a small Craftsman socket set that came with 1/2 a dozen wrenches and three ratchet sizes. The sockets are pretty extensive: six sided as well as 12 sided, shallow and deepwell, metric and inch sockets. I have since added many socket extensions, a Stanley Torx bit set (Walmart at 11:30 at night), and a more extensive (size wise) metric deepwell set (harbor freight). I also picked up a complete set of craftsman metric wrenches. I broke my Harbor Freight torque wrench so I need to go pick a new one up (It didn't actually break, it came apart and I lost a spring). Breaker bar. Power brake bleeder. Everyone has got to have a hack saw. Dremmel with flexible extension(second most valuable). One of my most useful tools that I have is an 18V cordless drill(Skill-reconditioned $49) with socket adapters that I use to take the lugs on and off. As well as other miscelaneous nuts and bolts when it's convienent. It has two batteries that seem to last forever but take no time at all to charge. I also have a nice Craftsman nut-driver set that has came in handy more than once when adjusting hose clamps. Nut drivers work way better than a screwdriver.

For working under the car I often find myself using ramps(walmart). I pull the car up on ramps, then maybe jack up one side a little more for that extra room. Four jack stands are also helpful when doing brake work so you can take all four wheels off at once. It makes bleeding easier.

I've had Sears replace two ratches that I broke(by putting a 3' pipe on the end) and several sockets. So,
to Craftsman but there is also something to be said about inexpensive tools like Stanley or Harbor Freight. I'd personally rather have all the sizes and types of tools that I can afford. Instead of just the Snap-On or Crafstman tools I can afford. I'm not a mechanic and I don't make a living using tools. So, I don't need the best tools out there. If I break something, like my $20 torque wrench, then I just go out the next day and replace it.

The next thing on my shopping list is an electric impact gun. Harbor Freight has some in the $70 range. Plus a low end 12V cigarette lighter version for $40.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Snap-on is 100% worth the money. but most people dont have that kind of cash. Unless you've been in the biz awhile, craftsman is the way to go. they are very durable and if you do break one, Sears will replace it for free. as far as must haves, jackstands, floorjack, torque wrench, full set of sockets, 3/8 and 1/2, metric and standard (deep sockets too). hex bits, screwdrivers, can of PB blaster, compression guage, strut spring compresser, breaker bar, spark plug gap wrench.
Sounds like Dan's garage plus like a million other things. LOL He had a lot of tools. Wonder if his new garage will be bigger. L8er Jon

·
Educating Mazda Owners One Thread at a Time
4,723 Posts
Facom. Expensive, but I haven't broken one yet. And when McLaren F1's came with a set, you know they can't be bad. Got mine as a gift, so I didn't have to spend my own money, but now that I've used them, I'd buy them even if I had to save a little extra to get them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My favorite and the most commonly used with the Focus is a large rubber mallet. Perfect for when the rear wheels get rust welded to the drums and also good with a block of wood on that stupid blue ring on the gas tank. I have a Sears card too and plan to catch the tool sales as they come up to fill my tool box. Still the rubber mallet is the best tool and one I end up having to reach for often. Ever see the crews attack the fenders after a wreck in the WRC races with sledge hammers? I love it when they do that.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Most of my tools are Snap-on - wrenches, sockets, drivers, and the tool-box. I also have some Mac-Tools sockets; I have a set of four 3-ton and a set of two 6-ton Hein-Warner jack stands; a Napa 2-1/2 ton hydraulic jack; Ingersoll-Rand 4-hammer impact gun; various Snap-on pneumatic drivers; and various specialty (screw) drivers and wrenches; a napa store brand MacPherson spring compressor; An air-compressor w/pressure regulator from Home Depot (can't remember the brand right now) that I installed a water separator onto w/automatic drain feature.

I have used Sears Craftsman and they're good and they have the lifetime warranty.

S&K are also very nice tools - they're pricy but worth it.

I have been checking out the tools at Home Depot and they look pretty decent. I do like their Husky line of tool-boxes; the cabinet in particular would be a nice edition for anyone who wants the ability to roll around a box that isn't top-heavy that you can put a nice piece of wood, say a chopping block, on top - attach a bench grinder, a vise, a 4-way grounded power strip you can plug in and you have a work-station on wheels.

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
Everything I have is Snap On. For air tools go with Ingersol Rand. They supply every major tool company with air tools. My $500 Snap On impact in the EXACT same as a $250 IR. So I don't buy Snap On air tools from now on. I'm going to be switching to Mac because my friends dad sells them and I can get them discounted. There is around a 100% mark up on "luxury" tools.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts