Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds like a stupid question, but alot of guys dont understand the relationship between power, weight, and tuning.

I'm going for an eleven second quarter mile (eventually) for example. Everybody says I'll need 700HP. I point out the power of current all motor class racers. What will it take to make a car go that fast?

My thoughts...

A good 400HP
A total weight of about 2200 lbs
Suspension and tires tuned for the track and conditions.

Am I dreaming? Or is this feasable?

Focus X

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
$$$$$

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Your plan seems more than adequate, with traction 300whp will get you there, but with 400whp, it's a gurantee, once again, only with traction.

Food for thought...

1800lb Honda CRX + 150whp + 110wtq = 12 sec 1/4 mile.

It's not all about hp.

- Drew

[ 04-09-2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Excellent.

Your plan is completely sound.

Take for example the 10.42 second K-car. From the Dynos I've seen it appears he is making around 400 crank horsepower.

Careful weight reduction and lots of work in getting that power to the ground have resulted in many 10 second time slips.

So.. an 11 on 400 isn't far fetched at all.

Another example is Focus Central's N/A car. 200-220whp and it runs low 13s. I don't have these numbers exact, but you get the idea.

Sure.. good sound tuning, logic, and careful buildup and your goal is attainable.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
Excellent.

Your plan is completely sound.

Take for example the 10.42 second K-car. From the Dynos I've seen it appears he is making around 400 crank horsepower.

Careful weight reduction and lots of work in getting that power to the ground have resulted in many 10 second time slips.

So.. an 11 on 400 isn't far fetched at all.

Another example is Focus Central's N/A car. 200-220whp and it runs low 13s. I don't have these numbers exact, but you get the idea.

Sure.. good sound tuning, logic, and careful buildup and your goal is attainable.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yup, FC's all motor car, 214whp, stock block, simple gutting, and [email protected]

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
there are web sites out there where you can plug in 2 out 3 factors. weight, hp, 1320 time and find the 3rd factor

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
not so much aerodynamics in drag racing...

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts
What makes a car fast?

Perception.

My 3 year old perceives my car to be fast!

Sorry, I know that doesn't help. It was just my first thought based on the topic title.

Front wheel drive is all about the traction! 400hp should be more than enough, if you can put it down to the ground. Tires, clutch, diff, launch, practice...practice...practice.

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts
Same thing with not double posting, practice...practice...practice.

Oops, sorry!

[ 04-10-2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: bigdaddyzx3 ]

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
nitrous makes cars fast so do turbos and superchargers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts