Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I have a '02 ZX3 (ATX), and I'm not looking to race, and could care less what I run in the 1/4 mile. I just want extra performance (i.e. push on the gas pedal, and it moves). Right now it's stock, and when I push on the pedal, there's a delay before it really starts to pick up. My thoughts so far are: Intake (maybe volant), catback, TB, superchip, and maybe UDP. Is that overkill? My next question would be, can my auto tranny handle that kind of horse power or will I be having problems with that 2 years down the road?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Superchip
UDP
Throttle Body

Remove backseats, seatbelts, spare, etc.
Lightweight wheels

For that lag I would suggest getting cam gears and tuning them. I've also heard cams help a lot on Auto Focus.

These mods will net a lot more responsiveness, and a little more speed.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Watch out with modding the auto; even with a ton of mods good times are hard to net.

Wolf Racing is supposed to be making a shift kit for the auto...

[ 12-11-2002, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: jRock ]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just added an AFX UDP and an Iceman intake to my ZX3 ATX and I have noticed a definite difference in pick up. The car seems to respond a lot quicker when I'm at a complete stop and then I step on the gas.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
good times are more than possible, but it will KILL your tranny.....complete exhaust, UDPs and intake here 16.3 in the 1/4

okay, mods I'd say are important...besides the stupid expensive complete exhaust or trany rebuild are a chip and UDPs, then from there, go wherever you want

·
Registered
645 Posts
Intake or even a Panel Filter
Throttlebody
Cams & cam gears
Then open up the exhaust

I lost some power off the line by doing the exhaust first, that's why I list it down the line.

Turbos are fun!

These trannys are funky...Some last, some don't

·
Registered
245 Posts
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
My first mod would be.... a 5 speed.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Boo!
Get a Pro Flow MAFS, TB, Intake, and then open up your exhaust a bit, if you are really serious add cams, header, and a programmed chip! That should do the trick. Ask ExcelSi(intake and exhaust on a 2000 Civic Si) how a modded auto focus can hold up against sticks!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I don't know, 16.3 a good time?

Shiva and Leadfoot, can you guys post some times?

My first auto ran crap with intake/exhaut/UDP, my new one runs crap (11.337 1/8 mile) stock. That's like a 16.9/17.0 1/4 mile stock...like I said, even with a ton of mods it's hard to make good power. Not only that but the stock tranny can handle up to 135 lbs/tq, which gives little room for lots of modifications, futher limiting that amount of power that can be had.

But, I love my car, and it's fast enough for me

[ 12-11-2002, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: jRock ]

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Originally posted by jRock:
I don't know, 16.3 a good time?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">considering my limited mods, I would like to think so

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I am thinking for my ATX equiped wagon,

not in any order:
Chip
race header
cat back
TB
new ford racing head
Cams
cam gears
intake
?????????

Tim

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your first mod on the auto should be the underdrive pulley.Its the first thing I did on my car and to this day its the best mod I have donw to my car.

·
Registered
222 Posts
the purple, shiny
ones

Sorry, a girlfriend of mine felt the need to answer!

I think:
UDP
Air Intake
Suspension
Throttle body
Exhaust

[ 12-12-2002, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: RicanStyleZX3 ]

·
Registered
245 Posts
It just depends on what you got, i haven't ran at the track but my friend and i will pull on him off the line and at high rpm not quickly but gradually, he has a 2000 civic si, which runs a 15.7 stock, and he has intake and exhaust which should bring the 1/4 mile down a few tenths. And don't say he can't drive because he can. Before he would kill me at high rpm, due to Vtec, but once i added the cat eleminator i pull on him.

here is my mods that have helped me to beat many cars (some you wouldn't believe if i told you.)
Cat eleminator, Pro-Flow 70mm MAFS, HKS filter and Volant intake arm, magnaflow exhaust, ignition wires, and FC 65mm TB
Mod ON

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mine got faster after break-in. Originally it was a slug off the line. Other than that, Volant with my custom SVT snorkel adaptation helped. I too am keeping it simple to save my tranny (why did that sound dirty?).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts