Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible to do N/A? If not no biggie. I am just wondering what it would really take to run a 14.4-14.6. I had a 98 Z28 that I had to sell and I am itching to get some grunt out of this car (02 ZX5 5spd) Is this even feisable to do on stock internals? I am VERY new to this motor and just want a little ino. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would assume you could run 14's all motor on stock internals.
I'm pretty sure you'd have to buy all the bolt-ons along w/ a 2000 intake mani. And most likely a p&p'd head. I am not exactly sure but it could give you an idea.
check out www.focussport.com
www.focus-central.com

·
Registered
411 Posts
well, it is doable...very doable indeed.

My friend has a Focus that runs a 14.2 in the 1/4

you would need a head package decked with aggressive cams, cam gears, lightened flywheel, clutch, gut the interior, cold air intake, race header, full exhaust, and flexpipe. Some drag radials would work too. Then if you want to step it up a notch...throw a wet n2o setup in there too(with something to pull timing while on the bottle).
Depending on how radical you get with the n2o, you would have to get rods and pistons. You should also look into getting a J&S Safeguard if you get that far.

I hope that helps out. I hope you are a good driver too....traction isn't on our side...

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
not to be a big nay-sayer to the NA crowd, but it'd be much easier just to go FI. seriously with a nice turbo kit you'll be hitting 14's with no problem. zman has the aerocharger on his car and with just the SFMS, a full interior, a cat-back, and stock everything else he ran 13.8 and dynoed around 220whp. that's a lot of grunt for around $3-3.5k if you want some real power check out turbotom's full turbo kit. for $5200 his kit has EVERYTHING and dynos at around 300+whp.

now if you're really only looking to hit 14.6 or so you can do it NA with some real invesment, but you're not going to go much faster than 14's with NA, not without huge $$. with FI the sky's the limit.

Nate

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm going to tell you what you need to run 14.5's but you really will not be able to run the stock internalls, if you want to run mid 14's, and be able to depend on your engine to last. The big downfall to the focus is the connecting rods, they tend to shatter and brake and yeah. Really if you want to run mid 14's but don't want to replace the internals you should look into the ford racing intake manifold, a ford racing cnc machined head, a set of stage 2 or 3 crower cams and cam gears, a fc race header, bosal flexpipe, borla exhaust package, mafs with bigger injectors, a aem fuel rail, a aem CAI, a set of nology wires, and of course a diablochip or superchip if diablo doesn't make one for your car yet. All of these items have simalar products to them i was just being specific with names. That right there is alot of power and should be able to get you into the mid 14's if not faster. That is a killer setup when dyno tuned right but will cost you an arm and a leg. Check out focuscentral, focussport, focusparts and myfordperformance for these parts. And good luck in your indevor, oh yeah i'd replace the pistons with a higher compression set and replace the rods with something other than stock, just about anything is better than the stockers. that would really give you a great n/a engine

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
you sold the LS1?

i feel your pain man..
/melovesthatcar/

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
full intake solution (intake, maf, TB work, y2k mani)

full exh solution (some combination that involes no stock pieces)

bigger bumpstix

chip helps

udp

cam sprockets w/tuning

somethin other than regular street radials

take ur spare tire/jack out at the track.

there's ur recipe.

-Ult

[ 03-05-2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
it took me:

cams
Raceheader
exhuast
intake
MAFS
TB
Cam gears
UDP

+no spare/backseats
+good launch
---------------

= [email protected]

[ 03-05-2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
836 Posts
I will have to disagree with some people in here. It does not take a new intake manifold, bigger injectors,a new MAF, drag radials, a lightened flywheel, and a better clutch. All of these i do not have. But what it has taken me to get to a 14.6 is everything in my sig, dyno time, and pleanty of track time. Yes it is a bit of money, but it is reliable, and i'm only pushing 151hp and 145tq on my rods, so i doubt they would break. Good luck....Russell

[ 03-06-2003, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: Russell ]

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
14s?

A 50 shot and slicks will get you there easy.

Total outlay, $1300 or so.

Now if you want to do it all day long on street tires with no power adder expect to spend a good bit more!

[ 03-06-2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Chris F ]

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
russell...i was goin 4 the minimalist route as usual, did u 4get lol.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nope i haven't forgot. lol

But....

Of course a new intake manifold, bigger injectors,a new MAF, drag radials, and a better clutch would not hurt. These things would help you ET's. Although i'm not a big fan of lightened flywheels and haven't seen much of a gain, in ET's, in low horsepower cars like we have. I have about $3500 in performance mods done to my car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts