Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be rebuilding/building my motor this winter. Stock parts have 79k on them. I currently have a precision stg 2 turbo running 7psi (215whp/219 ft lbs). Kit uses a GT28r turbo. Using a SCT tune currently for my tune. I have a torsion LSD/spec stg3 clutch, adjustable cam gears, 3" exhaust, live wires/screaming demon coil pack.

Wondering what engine/other parts I will have to replace to gain around 300whp hopefully maintaining my current turbo.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
New pistons and rings
Rods
Bearings
Seals
Billet main caps (optional)
ARP hardware (optional)
New oil pump
New water pump
Block needs to be bored and rehoned
Then the assembly needs to be balenced and blueprinted.

You can buy complete short blocks from a few places like Tom @ Focus Power or Walter @ Marcy Motorsports. They'll run about $2500+ depending on what you want.

If you have a Precision turbo, call them up and ask for Harry. He should be able to steer you in a good direction as well.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What brand parts would u recomend? What compression pistons? 8.5-1 or 9.0-1?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Search for a thread I made about 2 weeks ago about piston compression ratios. You'll get some useful info in there to decide where you want to go compression-wise. Mine started out with a Wiseco 9.0, 7 over; then I moved to a Diamond 8.0, 20 over.

Rods you can either go with Eagle or Crower. Crower are billet forged and can handle pretty much anything you throw at them, with the Eagles, still forged, will be more than capable with the HP goal you're looking for. The Eagles are also about 1/2 price of the Crowers.

Bearings and seals cann all be OEM. Federal/Mogel made some aftermarket bearings I believe, but I have no way to source those out. I haven't heard anyone have any problems with OEM components anyways.

Oil and water pump can be OEM as well.

The billet main caps can be purchased from Tom @ Focus Power for $325, but then it has to be line bored, so it can get pricey.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Re: What Motor Parts do I need to build up to support 15psi (300

Everything EggYolk said except that I'd say the main caps and ARP hardware are NOT optional. You're gonna have to have some machining work done on the block when replacing pistons anyways, so might as well have them line bore for the caps. Also, the caps are really a safety for a built block and the ones on the focus are pretty weak. As far as ARP hardware goes, it's really not that expensive so make sure to not cheap out on your bolts and studs.

As far as compression, i'm running 9.0 7 over and i'm pretty happy, i know some people had custom made pistons at around 8.8 and that worked well.

Lastly, and this is not exactly block-related, but i would definately recommend getting the FR head. It will let you get to that hp target a lot easier with how much better it flows.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

15psi wont get you 300whp on your current motor. The reason I hit 300whp on 15psi is due to the higher compression of my engine, and maybe the intake help out some too.

Roughly 1psi will give you about 10whp, so at least you can come close to how much boost you'll need and then you build your engine for that level of boost.

EDIT: you know the gt28r is only good for 300hp, that'll be quite a strain on it.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

lower compression generally will yeild higher (more safe) boost

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

so you saying that going from 7psi to 15psi wont do anything? what will it net me then? I currently doing 215whp with 7psi.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

15psi should put you in the 280ish range.... still GREAT power

·
Registered
2,838 Posts

One thing I forgot to add, the injectors that came with your Precision kit will reach an unsafe duty cycle at 300whp. You'll need to upgrade to atleast 42lb injectors.

I'm going to be over 300whp with my Precision but I have a GT2860RS/GT3071R and 55lb injectors. I can't go much higher because the FMIC becomes inefficient after 300whp.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

ah cool, Yeh already running 42lb injectors/str aluminum fuel rail those were upgraded from the ones the kit came with. I just want around 300whp, anything more than that i think is overkill. How you think I will run in the quarter with 300whp? Im running a mid to upper 13 right now

·
Registered
534 Posts

I'd say if ur going for 300+ you'd have to have like 55lbs injectors not 42s... from what i've heard 42s are good till about 250-275 safely... I could be wrong here tho... im sure someone will correct me if i am...

jason

·
Registered
2,838 Posts

The best time with a Precision kit I know of is 13.29 @ 109mph done by Jeffro. That was at 15PSI as well.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts

The best time with a Precision kit I know of is 13.29 @ 109mph done by Jeffro. That was at 15PSI as well.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

hrm, thats strange, I will try to find the time slip. It was ran before I bought the car, tho I have the time slip/dyno sheet. It was a 13.79/13.99/13.83, I will look to see the reaction times.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

Orange has an SVT engine.. you have a normal zetec..

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

also, i hope you plan on upgrading your clutch, and going with a quaife!!! it wont be worth all that power with both clutch and tire slippage eh???
Adamo

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I have a spec stg 3 clutch, and a torision lsd already

1 - 19 of 19 Posts