Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres a subject i hear a lot of different opionions on. to get the maximum performance out of your engine what RPMs to you shift at? i have a friend that goes right up to the rpm before he shifts and he thinks that is the best way to shift it i disagree with that. i was just wondering what rpm you get the maximum performance at and what you guys shift at, and what you should shift at say if your running your car on the quarter mile.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
hehe Ultegra should answer this soon.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I usually shift at 6000, but make peak power at 5500.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
i can kinda just feel where to do it. you can tell by the feel of the car that once you hit a certain RPM the power drops off. as for an exact number, ehhh i dunno it depends on the car

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Every car is different in this area. The only way to tell where to shift is to put it on a dyno. My car, for example, makes max power at 6500 rpm's, then it drops off pretty sharply, so no reason to go past that. Also, my car makes max tq around 4500, so I've figured out where to shift each gear, by where the revs are after I shift. For example, I run 1'st gear out to 6500, shift as fast as possible, and my revs stay up around 4k, which is perfect, because it's near the max tq. The tq pulls the revs up fast to max hp, then shift again. See? If you shift, say at 5k, your revs will go down to 3k and you'll have to bog out for a bit before the tq kicks in again. Just play with it, go to a track on a slow test n tune night and run 15 times. Keep a notebook that shows what ur 60ft times are, and your 1/4 mile and mph at each rpm shift and go up 100 rpm's at a time. Then figure out which gives you the best overall times/speed and stick with it. practice practice practice. good luck yo, hope this helps

g

·
Registered
193 Posts
i think the best point to shift is shortly after the peak...6000. that way, when your RPMs drop (maybe down ~1700), the motor is closer to its peak.

but i could be wrong...i have an automatic

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
i think the shift points are as follows

1st-6.3krpm
2nd-6.2krpm
3rd-6krpm

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so then i guess the question is: say you make max horsepower at 5400 and max torque at 4700 would it be the best to shift at 5400 or a little after?

·
Registered
76 Posts
6000-6100 1st
5900 every gear after that on a stock setup.
Thats what always worked for me. Everytime i stretched to 6000 2-3 i lost time in the other gears. But 1st gear can go a little farther because of the good gearing advantage.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what happens if you go redline everytime you shift?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts