Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a volant, fc puleys and exhaust should i get a race header next or what any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
assess ur goals and desires, gettin more aggressive w/exh could lead 2 things u dont wanna deal with, ie sound/smell (sometimes)/drone. all depends. its a fair chunk of change, but look into the svt setup (svt header/svt cat/svt flex back 2 ur catback). more power, quiet, and u can tune around it, somethin u cant do w/our cat. until u figure that situation out, u can put cams/cam sprockets on hold, b/c the stock cat doesnt like it 4 the most part. things like a y2k manifold and MAF r nice additions. port ur stock TB as well. good and cheap mod, those will all sure up ur intake. in fact the maf is an easy bolt up w/the volant.

good luck,

-Ult

·
Registered
149 Posts
So ult, you saying I should get AEM cam sprockets with a stock exhaust ?? I just got a Superchip, see "about superchips" thread, and want to know what to do next ?? AEM CAI ?? If I get that I can't get MAF or so I hear ?? I can get all ford parts @ cost, so Ford lightning MAF would fit me best, but can U put it on when U have AEM ????? Just curious. BTW I would much rather spend money on an aftermarket exh setup than an SVT one.......just my opinion....

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
ack 2 different situations.

#1. ur volant intake is fine...leave it alone. the pro m maf mates 2 the volant easier than most any intake, certainly of all the cai's.

#2. stay away from the aem, its fine and it worx, but u wont b able 2 do a Pro M (or any type) MAF.
look in another direction 4 an intake. and its 2 freakin expensive...save ur bread and go elsewhere. if u really want 2 pay 100-200 extra 4 a name and license plate frame, so b it. check out the volant, iceman, and other MAF 'friendly' intakes.

#1 and 2. i'm sayin, NO cams/cam sprockets yet. do not tune ur car up w/that stuff until u've replaced the stock cat w/something. u will kill it if u dont, set it aside 4 emission tests.

#1. so i'd get a flexpipe (if ur gonna do an aftermarket setup up front).

#1 and 2. next, if u dont have this already (if ur focus build date was in 99 or early 00), the y2k intake manifold. even unported (porting is easy though) its worth a few ponies and gives u further potential hp-wise. port ur stock TB, and mate that whole intake setup 2gether w/ur (or a chip sangria) chip and that side is set.

#1 and 2. then figure out ur exh solution. when u have ur int/exh solution finished, then look into cams/head/sprockets/internal engine work/etc etc.

good luck,

-Ult

[ 02-26-2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts