Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by 2o*FoCusZeTec*o2:
Alright, my 2002 SE Sedan...is...a automatic *sigh* but I plan on adding a intake and just getting rid of the stock air box and K&N filter, and I also want a Magnaflow muffler, but what would be my best way to go, intake first? or muffler first?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wrong forum, you should post this on zetec tuning

·
Registered
328 Posts
intake or underdrive pulley would be a good start.

·
Registered
292 Posts
both are fine for first mods, both will help with power and both will improve the sound. its just a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also have an automatic 2002 SE and have almost given up on performance upgrades. I should have gotten a manual (I thought it would have been too annoying) so now I just go for exterior upgrades. I have put 6200 miles on my car so far, and I have maxed mine at 110 mph. Where is the govorner set at?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Governor's set at 106 - the speedo is slightly optimistic. The digital readout is spot-on.

In my honest opinion, you're better off going manual, for the money you'll put in to speed things up. But you can work with the automatic - much of the problem is how its calibrated from the factory. They have chips that reprogram it so it shifts more in keeping with a performance car. There's also mods out there to build up your tranny to handle as much power as you want - for a price.

The other mods are the same as with manuals - start with the basics - exhaust & intake. Then progress as time, money, and ambition permit.

"Best" is a relative term. No one part is the silver bullet with these cars - they build upon each other. Fortunately for us, you can wake up the Zetec pretty well with the basic ones.

Lots of people swear by underdrive pulleys - I'm not real crazy about them myself, as they put a strain on the alternator to keep up, particularly with all the accessories on. Yes, they work, but the side effects are not acceptable IMHO. I might consider it if I was revving past 7000 a lot (to preserve the accessories, not for power).

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Double-posted... sorry!

[ 12-23-2002, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Zoomer69 ]

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thanks everyone...I was looking at the Diablosport chip which Drew(f.o.k.) recommened and it says they HIGHLY recommend you use 91 octane...well it's mostly 86,89, and 93 octanes at the pump isnt it? so could you just use 93, or do you have to get 91 from somewhere? *shrugs* yeah, I'm new to mod'in my car, so I'm sure I'll prolly ask some stupid-ass questions in the next few months!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Any octane requirement is "at least".

More than necessary isn't better, but less than necessary results in less power (on a new car), or a destroyed engine (on a non-computer car).

·
Registered
512 Posts
Alright, my 2002 SE Sedan...is...a automatic *sigh* but I plan on adding a intake and just getting rid of the stock air box and K&N filter, and I also want a Magnaflow muffler, but what would be my best way to go, intake first? or muffler first?

[ 12-24-2002, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: 2o*FoCusZeTec*o2 ]

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with the Under Drive pulley, It really helped mine out. These automatics need all the help they can get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts