Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lost on what to do next...As you can see in my sig. you see that I have done alot.I do have a body kit (Roush)and suspension (eibach pro-damper plus),Rims (Blk enkie RSV 17'S),Interior (Svt red and blk)....I like to know what you all think that I should do next...Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
Huh, after all your new goodies are on, take it for a ride bro...

You mean you want more..?

Bigger MAF, pistons, a head job...??? Man you have a lot of stuff on your car
, I'm jealous.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Better brakes.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Better brakes.
Seconded. A well-rounded car is a good thing.

Also, most rims look horrible with rear drums.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Better brakes? That can be covered by better PADS and it cost alot less.

I'd say ported head might be the best route and/or a bump in compression.

·
19,806 Posts
Better brakes? That can be covered by better PADS and it cost alot less.

OK; you put whatever pad you choose in the stock caliper/rotor combo.

Then try to stop as short from 100 mph as a Focus with BIGGER brakes.

I'd go with the better brakes myself... but that's just my experience.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Dito on the brake upgrade

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I do have powerslot slotted and cross drilled on my car with Hawk brake pads...Is that what ya'll are meaning?Or do you mean a front big brake kit?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
We aren't driving Zetecs. Is he even making enough power for a ported head to make a difference? The compression could be a good idea, though.

·
19,806 Posts
Our heads, as cast, flow enough air for over 200 HP.

Someone earlier in this thread pointed out suspension. Has anything been done there?

·
Registered
370 Posts
1#

What's wrong with a pad upgrade and his car is basically STOCK isn't it? He doesn't have 200hp, 300hp or anything close to that and I guess what your saying is Focus brakes from the factory are subpar.

2#

There's always benefit from a ported head. Weather or not there is VALUE in it at this point is another question entirely.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Read his sig again. He's running full bolt-ons, with Stage II cams and a Cossie manifold being installed. That's a long way from stock. What we're suggesting is that his car is much better at accelerating than at stopping. A balanced car should do both.

And there isn't always benefit to a ported head. Only the big tuners like Marcy, F2,and Cosworth, and a few of their regular guinea pigs, are pushing enough air to see real gains from a ported head.

The stock Duratec head is very, very good. Only an experienced pro would be able to improve it without a lot of trial and error. In a best-case scenario, porting the head on a Duratec will be expensive and get you a few horsepower. In a worst-case scenario, it will be expensive and actually flow worse than it did before.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK yall I am taking some of your advice and going to save and get a brake kit....But I will tell you this I am having my head ported while the cams are being installed....My next question would be what do you think about the stock flywheel and clutch?Do you think that it will hold?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
It could never hurt to get a new flywheel and clutch. IIRC, the stock flywheel will let go at around 7100 rpm. With the cams and Cossie manifold, you could probably make power above that point. So, with a new Cosworth aluminum flywheel, you could squeeze out some more horsepower by raising your rev limiter a bit.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am of the opinion that if you can't stop fast you have no business going fast. Get a decent "big brake" kit on ASAP. Take a look at cars that leave the factory with the type of HP/handleing that you have turned your Focus into. Everyone will be stocked with 4 wheel discs...for a reason.
Cheers.
PS, post up some numbers when you get the car back.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's time for a Torsen or Quaife, all the power in the world won't help without grip. Unless you like smoke! So when you are in there doing the clutch and flywheel, put the diff in there as well. Also the .341 final drive is anemic, so take it at least to the .382

·
Registered
184 Posts
fastfocus04 - have you had your Focus Dyno'd or gone down the 1/4? Just wondering what the car feels line or does with all those mods.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts