Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase a 5 speed ZX3 in a week or so and was wondering what gains I should expect with the following mods I will do in the first few weeks of having the car.

AEM Cold Air Intake
FocusSport Performance Exhaust System-- The ceramic Coated one.
Focus 4-2-1 Race Header by steeda
Steeda 8mm Spark wires

Those are the only performance things I will do right away.

Any estimates on 1/4 and overall HP?

Also alot of people have alot of perfomance mods how is ford about taking care of warenty issues?

Thanks!

[ 03-03-2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Prez ]

·
Registered
490 Posts
all cars are different but i would say 120 and i dont know about the 1/4.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by Prez:
I'm going to purchase a 5 speed ZX3 in a week or so and was wondering what gains I should expect with the following mods I will do in the first few weeks of having the car.

AEM Cold Air Intake
FocusSport Performance Exhaust System-- The ceramic Coated one.
Focus 4-2-1 Race Header by steeda
Steeda 8mm Spark wires

Those are the only performance things I will do right away.

Any estimates on 1/4 and overall HP?

Also alot of people have alot of perfomance mods how is ford about taking care of warenty issues?

Thanks!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, as for the gains SCC got for the mods:
+5 HP for the intake
+2 HP for the exhaust
+0 HP for the shorty header

And my guess:
+0 HP for plug wires

Might want to think more along these lines because they'll run you about the same money and give you these extra gains:
+3 HP for Underdrive pulley ($50-$110)
+8 HP for Focus Sport race header ($350)
+6 HP for Cam gears ($179-$250)

The differance in gains is between +7hp or +24. Something to sit on. Your 1/4 depends on other things like wheel size etc. But a good guess is with +24 you'll see low 15's with +7 you'll see high 15's or 16 flat.

A part only affects you're warranty if it caused the problem. If that happens i'd even try taking the part off and seeing if the dealer will fix it. Its not really a big deal until you get into turbos or things like that i dont imagine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The dealers I've been to have been a pain in the A#* when it comes to ignoring my aftermarket goodies. I had a problem with the Stock 6 disk changer, actually I had a problem with several of the recievers. The last time I went in with a problem with the radio my car was lowered, nothing else done to it at this point though. They said that my stereo problem was caused because I lowered my car!?
I dont understand how they could possibly say that considering I must know of over a hundred different people with the same prob as me with the Radio. It kinda gives them a loop hole to work with, even though the part that is on the car didn't cause the problem, if they can come up with a good enough story as to how the aftermarket led to the problem then there isn'nt much you can do about it. They told me that my stereo was having problems because the dampening of my suspension was harsher than stock and the stereo wasn't designed for that kind of abuse. I laughed at the guy when he told me that. Well there's my insite, goodluck.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You can get more HP than 6 with the cam gears. I would purchase a Volant, FC 65mm t/b, race header, flexpipe, and exhaust... then cam gears.

Do it how you want though... I have a brand new set of cam gears if you are interested. Also have a t/b, volant, and borla. just PM or email me if you think you might be interested.

Trey

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool guys. Thanks for the info.

Trey I wrote your name down so when I but the foci I can e-mail ya.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by Trey:
You can get more HP than 6 with the cam gears. I would purchase a Volant, FC 65mm t/b, race header, flexpipe, and exhaust... then cam gears.

Do it how you want though... I have a brand new set of cam gears if you are interested. Also have a t/b, volant, and borla. just PM or email me if you think you might be interested.

Trey
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well cam gear gains will depend on where you start out to begin with. The 6 hp gain is if you start with about the best (115hp) stock. So the difference is between 122HP or 142HP. As car as other brands go I think most exhausts gain pretty much the same. My favorite are the quieter ones (apex'i, focus sport, HKS). The AEM intake gains the most HP of any intake on the market, so if you're going for power, then that's the one to get. A lot of people on here get throttle bodies, but they are kinda a waste of money. I've ported my stock one which is a lot better than paying $250 for the added tip-in. Plus the benefits of the larger bore T/B arent seen until you've got a more kick ass setup underhood. Just a few more facts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wouldn't spend the 250 on the cam gears unless you're going for new cams. I have CAI, Shorty Header, 65mm TB, Borla Catback, FS Wires and got less than two peak horse power at the best setting on a dyno. Those that say 6 hp stock, I'd have to see proof beyond the advertisements. Good luck with your new ride and replace the cat ASAP, it will go on you eventually!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts