Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car ran fine last night (as well as quite a while before). This morning I crank it over and that's all it does (confirmed the engine is cranking over). I'm not sure if I have no spark, no fuel, or something else is screwy. First thing I did was plug in the XCal2 and check for codes... None. Second thing I did was flash it back to stock, no help. I did plug in the XCal2 and verify that I could log things in Live Link but I have no idea what would be useful to tell me if it was spark, fuel, or something else all together. I'm heading out with the DVM to check all the fuses next. If anybody has any suggestions on what to log/check with the XCal2 I'm open to trying.

I'm about 99% sure this has nothing to do with the SCT flash. I'm just hoping maybe the data logger portion can help me figure out what's broken/malfunctioning/disconnected.

I did verify that the 3-wire plug into my coil pack is good (no broken wires) but am not sure how to verify that the coil pack itself is good.

Anyhow, fuses await, I'll report back in a while.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well over 10 gallons of gas in the tank. I'm pretty sure that it's getting fuel (and I probably have some in the intake manifold at the moment). The Cool-Flo isn't co good at controling evaporative emissions.

Fuses all seemed to check out fine.

Any easy way to check for spark?

It's cranking pretty strong (as long as the battery holds out).

The fuel pump was replaced a few months before the TSB came out. I suspect I've got a pre-updated module but have had no symptoms return like I had before it was replaced.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Pull a plug wire out and pull the plug out and then connect it to the wire. The plug has to be grounded, but you don't want the electrode touching anything, it just has to be close. You'll someone to help you crank it so you can see if you have spark.

Also you could have a bad coilpack. Or bad wires.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid Ford $103.xx to tell me that I need a new timing belt or "polley". They think it's missing a tooth or two and/or broke. I declined their generous offer of about $490 to put in a new belt for me.

Another call to AAA... Another tow, at least this time the guy didn't take 2 hours to show up.
Thanks to AAA I've only had to spend about $60 in towing today.

Randy, I'm going to be sending you e-mail later or just calling first thing Monday to get a Kent belt on the way and maybe some other odds and ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts