Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to go to WalMart tommorrow to pick up some Mobile 1 for the T-Bird and I know that most of my fellow Tbird owners use 10w40 even though the manual says 5w30 so I wondered what all of you were using.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Mobil One here too

Edit: 5W-30

·
Registered
733 Posts
I use 5 w 30 Synthetic

you ony need to run 0 weight if you live in an area that gets really cold like canada.... -25 celcius and colder.

·
Registered
511 Posts
im using 0w20 mobil 1, but im not putting it back in. im moving up to 30weight i think

Why change out the 20W?
You get more HP and MPG with no loss of protection.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
mobil 1 0w40

g

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
M1 5-30 is my preference

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-30, but thinking of switching to Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (made in Germany) if I can find it.

Son has some in his ZTS. MPG and butt dyno noticably down. This 30W is on the upper end of the 30W scale (compared to Mobil1 for example)and does not thin out. Great oil IMO, but not in this aplication

·
Registered
41 Posts
Castrol Syntec is a Group III petroleum, not a real synthetic. No way is it better than Mobil 1 and certainly not the synthetic I use. I'm not saying your engine will fall out but you'll be paying approximately the same amount as you do for Mobil 1 and for a less robust lubricant. IMHO, not a good move.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Castrol Syntec is a Group III petroleum, not a real synthetic

The Syntec we are talking about (0W-30) is sold in the US but made in Germany. It is a real synthetic. Results have been very good. It passes highest Euro standards including long drain, MB, BMW, Porsche, Volkswagon.

Some old stock of Syntec 0W-30 left on shelves (0W-30 is either yellow or red) that is made in USA and nowhere bear as highly rated. Label must say Made in Germany (front 0w-30 is red). Autozones carry it..........

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-30, but thinking of switching to Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (made in Germany) if I can find it.

Son has some in his ZTS. MPG and butt dyno noticably down. This 30W is on the upper end of the 30W scale (compared to Mobil1 for example)and does not thin out. Great oil IMO, but not in this aplication
Thanks.
I'll stick w/ M1 then.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've never picked something under a 5...I chose my oil depending on the season-warm weather--> thicker, cold weather thinner. This makes for better protection and easier starts. I've always used a synthetic since I bought her. It's summer here so now I'm using a 10w 30 Valvoline Syn. I go a little thinner in the winter. I'd rather have the added protection than not, I'm hard on her, but it's been clear every change so far.

·
Registered
234 Posts
im using 0w20 mobil 1, but im not putting it back in. im moving up to 30weight i think

Why change out the 20W?
You get more HP and MPG with no loss of protection.
You got that backwards dude. 20w gives more hp than 30w because it is thinner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts